DirectShow Error with Amazon MP3s

highpriest

Ran into the same problem described in this thread: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=14690

However, there is no Microsoft patch available for Windows 7 x64 (I have the Home Premium edition) on that linked page - apparently that issue does not apply to Windows 7. So how do I fix this on Windows 7? Other MP3s and FLAC files burn just fine but it's just this one album (Muse - The Resistance) I bought off of Amazon that doesn't play nice. Please help!

Cheers

HighPriest

Download MediaInfo and see what it says about the file, it's probably non standard or something.

Here you go:

General
Complete name                    : C:\Stuff\Music\Muse\The Resistance\01 - Uprising.mp3
Format                           : MPEG Audio
File size                        : 9.61 MiB
Duration                         : 5mn 4s
Overall bit rate                 : 256 Kbps
Album                            : The Resistance
Part/Position                    : 1/1 / 1
Part/Total                       : 1
Track name                       : Uprising
Track name/Position              : 1
Track name/Total                 : 11
Performer                        : Muse
Accompaniment                    : Muse
Composer                         : Matthew Bellamy
Genre                            : Alternative Rock
Recorded date                    : 2009
Writing library                  : LAME3.91 
Copyright                        : 2009 Warner Music UK Limited
Cover                            : Yes
Cover type                       : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                       : image/jpeg
Comment                          : Amazon.com Song ID: 212806295

Audio
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 3
Duration                         : 5mn 4s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Stream size                      : 9.30 MiB (97%)
Writing library                  : LAME3.91 
Encoding settings                : -m s -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 20.1

You could also send one of the problem files to the support email address and I'll take a look at it properly.

Will send this file across to the support email address. It's pretty big (9.61 MB). Cheers for your help LIGHTNING UK!.

Cheers

HighPriest

Having removed the picture from the ID3 tag, DirectShow was able to process it ok.

Ah, that's a potential work around then. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Do you have an explanation on why this causes problems? The file plays perfectly in any media player.

2.5.2.0 can also process it using ACM... but that doesn't help you with 2.5.1.0 ;)

Hurry up and release it already :D

Cheers

HighPriest

I guess the standard filters don't try and process + skip the ID3 tag, they probably just search for the sync headers for a little bit and then give up (because of the picture being so big).

Actually, the PowerDVD 10 WMV/WMA filter allows directshow to process it (even though it's an MP3 - weird!) but obviously you don't have that or it would work and you wouldn't be here :)

I guess the standard filters don't try and process + skip the ID3 tag, they probably just search for the sync headers for a little bit and then give up (because of the picture being so big).

You are absolutely right. I extracted the picture (the original was 600x600 pixels and well over 300 KB), resized it to 300x300 and saved it as a JPG with 60% compression which resulted in a 30 KB file. Embedded it back into the MP3 and ImgBurn had absolutely no problems with it.

Actually, the PowerDVD 10 WMV/WMA filter allows directshow to process it (even though it's an MP3 - weird!) but obviously you don't have that or it would work and you wouldn't be here :)

This machine has PowerDVD DX 8.3.1.6107 already installed (came with the laptop).

Cheers

HighPriest

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.