Need help making a .iso bootable

ernmorris

First, let me apologize in advance for being so dumb! : )

I've searched the forums and also looked through the guides to find the answer before posting a question. I'm sure it is right in front of my face, but I can't seem to find it. I did just get back from vacation...perhaps my mind is still wandering at the beach...

Anyway, here goes...

I have a .iso of Win 7 pro 64 bit burned to a DVD. I need to make this file bootable and burn it to a disk so that I can install it on another PC that I just got. The PC came without a hard drive, so I plan to use the 2nd drive that I had previously installed in my current PC.

A friend mentioned that I could use the imgburn software. I have downloaded and installed it. I've played around and have done quite a bit of reading on the site, but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance...I appreciate the help!

Copy the files from your Win7 DVD to your computer then follow this guide to make a bootable disc with them.

Thanks - this worked and I now have a bootable Win 7 disk.

I'm running into some new issues now though...

When trying to install Win 7 it is not recognizing the hard drive.

So I thought I would update my bios & SATA drivers, but each download is in a .exe format. Is there any way using imgburn to make a .exe bootable?

Thanks in advance!

Most probably those .exe are self extracting archives. Try unpack them with WinRAR.

For the BIOS update you should read the motherboard manual how you should install it.

For the SATA drivers just extraxt the content to a USB pendrive or burn to a CD-RW.

At installing, OS will give you an option to load drivers, browse for the .inf file and if it is the correct one it will install it an continue with OS install.

Or you can integrate SATA directly into install disc with WinIntegrator

Edited by ianymaty

You'll have to bear with me ianymaty! I only know enough to be scary!

Let me clarify one thing from my previous post. This is a clean install - completely blank hard drive. When I get to the section of the install where I can choose to partition the drive (which is very early on) it does not see any drive. I can choose the load drivers here, but it does not see them since they are in an .exe.

I tried to run the .exe from a different PC, but of course I get a 'running on an unsupported system' error.

So I assume that I need to make the .exe bootable or extract the files. Neither of which I know how to do. Since this is a forum specific to imgburn, I thought I could utilize that software to make it bootable.

Perhaps you told me how to do that in your post, but it was lost in translation. : )

Thanks for the assistance.

Yeah, I gave you two solutions. Extract the drivers (not run to install) to use with load drivers or integrate them directly in install disc.

At least tell us motherboard brand and model if it is a desktop or the manufacturer and model if it is laptop computer, anything you know about chipset/storage controller.

If now you have OS installed on that computer this site may help you identify your components.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.