ImgBurn does not exit properly

PlumberODeth

Hi. I've been using ImgBurn for a while now, no problems. Recently I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 from Vista. After upgrading I've found that I can run ImgBurn once per boot, after which relaunching the application reports that the drives cannot be accessed (log below). I can uninstall ImgBurn at this point but trying to reinstall gives an error message that there is still an ImgBurn process running. Attempting to eject the drive via the gui (right click>open) reports that the drive is in use and cannot be ejected even though there is no media present in the drive. It would seem that ImgBurn is leaving a lock file or process after exiting that locks the drive that can only be cleared with a reboot.

I do access this machine via Remote Desktop and have changed my settings for "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" to both Enabled and Disabled, to no effect.

I am logged in as an administrator.

Using ImgBurn 2.5.1.

OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Have installed (multiple times) enabling SPTI for all users and reset settings.

ImgBurn error:

I 19:41:58 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 19:41:58 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 19:41:58 Total Physical Memory: 8,387,704 KB - Available: 7,083,616 KB

I 19:41:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:41:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 19:42:00 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\?\ide#cdrompioneer_dvd-rw__dvr-111d________________1.29____#6&211a1aa2&0&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}' (D:)

E 19:42:00 Reason: Access is denied.

E 19:42:02 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\?\ide#cdromtsstcorp_dvd-rom_sh-d163b_______________sb01____#5&cf4d2b6&0&0.1.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}' (E:)

E 19:42:02 Reason: Access is denied.

W 19:42:02 Errors were encountered when trying to access 2 drives.

W 19:42:02 These drives will not be visible in the program.

E 19:42:02 You need Administrative privileges to use SPTI.

Error given when attempting to eject the drive:

Drive in use. Save any open files on this disk, and then close the files or programs using the files before ejecting the disk.

When a process is closed, any and all locks (open handles) by said process on a drive are closed by Windows.

Of course ImgBurn releases them all itself too.

Use something like Unlocker, Lock Hunter or Process Explorer to find which process has it locked (I very much doubt it's a non-running ImgBurn!).

You're totally right. It turns out that ImgBurn opens and closes fine, over and over, when accessing directly, not via Remote Desktop. I've tried the secpol change and it does not impact this particular error. Is there a work around for remote access?

That was just it, I couldn't find a process. And all errors resolve themselves when I work at the console. It must be some security setting in Windows 7 (and not prior) or something relating to Remote Desktop that allows access to the drive once using ImgBurn. This wasn't the case in Windows XP but I can't speak for Vista since my copy was a Home Edition, where they neuter all the useful remote access programs, even those that you try to install yourself.

Found it! To copy the answer from a thread on a Windows support site (link below). Many thanks for your patience, I should have done more testing at the console before jumping to conclusions. Please change the topic name so others with this problem can benefit from this solution.

You need to edit the Group Policy and enable a Computer Policy on the host computer with the CD/BD ROM.

In the local Group Policy editor, go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access

Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

This policy setting grants normal users direct access to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you enable this policy setting, remote users will be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, remote users will not be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

Original thread

Edited by PlumberODeth

Does it work ok via RD if you have the policy setting you mentioned above enabled AND the 'Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only' one under 'Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\' enabled too?

(The latter being the 'AllocateCDRoms' one that's manipulated by the 'Enable SPTI Access for All Users' option in the installer)

Confirmed. I can launch ImgBurn multiple times and detect drives with both settings.

Just to justify this setup- this makes it convenient when working on one machine and burning on another, such as with a machine (or virtual machine) in another room or simply dedicated to this purpose. I don't use Windows much but there are some applications that are more convenient in that environment.

I really appreciate your responsiveness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.