strange problem burning dvd's

rotherdrummer

hi everyone

1st post on here, hope you can help!...

i've been using imgburn for years with no major problems, but about 6 months ago i bought some memorex dvd+r discs and started experiencing problems burning iso/img files. unfortunately, i can't remember the exact error message but it couldn't write the tracks and it would make the annoying "oh no!" sound. the weird thing is, if i kept re-trying the burn, eventually it would work. there didn't seem to be any formula to make it work, it was just a case of being patient. anyway, i assumed this was down to the media, so even though i have stacks of memorex discs left over i decided to purchase a spindle of verbatim dvd-r's. unfortunately, the problem is now worse! i can't burn anything at all on the verbatim discs. i keep getting the following error:

"Device Not Ready (Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable)

i did a bit of research and tried uninstalling Daemon tools and the SPTD driver, but i'm still getting the error. i really didn't expect this using top discs and imgburn

can anyone offer any advice?

thank you

john

p.s.

imgburn 2.1.5.0, and there's nothing in the log...

I 21:48:39 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 21:48:39 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 21:48:39 Total Physical Memory: 4,158,644 KB - Available: 2,789,432 KB

I 21:48:39 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:48:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:48:39 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N MN01 (E:) (ATAPI)

I 21:48:39 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

Edited by rotherdrummer

If it's showing that message when using Verbatim blanks then your burner is pretty much dead. Try a lens cleaning disc on that drive but you should start looking for a new burner, which is pretty cheap by the way.

it's just started working. not sure why. here are the steps taken:

- inserted verbatim disc, imgburn said ""Device Not Ready (Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable)"

- ejected/re-inserted, same error

- replaced verbatim disc with memorex dvd+r. imgburn kept saying "Device not ready (Logical unit is in process of becoming ready)"

- after 15 minutes of waiting, nothing happened

- ejected disc and closed imgburn

- inserted blank verbatim disc again without having imgburn open

- windows 7 recognised the blank disc and asked me what i wanted to do with it. i clicked cancel

- opened up imgburn and it could see and write to the verbatim disc

any ideas what's causing this?

thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.