Questions about burning dual layer DVDs

ABC

To clarify, yes I read the stickied thread at the top of the page and I've already read through several guides/tutorials.

I've never burned anything before so I'm not to sure how this works. I just want to burn a few things, not much.

1) I bought TDK DVD+R DL DVDs. They have a write speed of 8x and hold 8.5 GB. How good are these? I know you guys recommend Verbatim but I want to see how this compares.

2) Speaking of Verbatim, why do you guys recommend it? What's so good about it that other DVDs don't have? Also why DVD+ and not DVD-? Would you recommend Verbatim for regular (non-DL) DVDs as well? What about CDs?

3) I was burning an AVI file to the DVD and I got that "end of the world" error. Was it because I needed to set a layer break? Why didn't it give me the option in the first place?

4) I was reading a guide on how to burn dual layers and I saw this:

Now we need to tell ImgBurn where the DVD Video (IFO/BUP/VOB) files are that we want to burn

How do I get the DVD Video (IFO/BUP/VOB) files?

Thanks in advance.

1. Look in Media section on the forum

2. Verbatim is recomended because they are the best. If a drive can't burn a Verbatim, that drive is considered useless.

3. You got "end of the world" error when burning an AVI file to the DVD? Hmmm. You mean a converted AVI to DVD. Read this

4. It's your problem from where you get DVD Video (IFO/BUP/VOB) files. Directly from an existing DVD Video or a converted file to DVD Video.

1. Look in Media section on the forum

2. Verbatim is recomended because they are the best. If a drive can't burn a Verbatim, that drive is considered useless.

3. You got "end of the world" error when burning an AVI file to the DVD? Hmmm. You mean a converted AVI to DVD. Read this

4. It's your problem from where you get DVD Video (IFO/BUP/VOB) files. Directly from an existing DVD Video or a converted file to DVD Video.

Thanks for the reply.

1) There's no TDK DVD+ DL. There are other TDKs though. Should I base it on those?

I don't get how to read these threads? Once I find the post in that thread with my drive how do I determine whether it's good or not? Also, how do I know what drive I have?

2) What else is recommended?

3) Converted AVI? I literally just used DVD Flick to burn an AVI file directly to the DVD and I got the error. Prior to that I just encoded the same AVI file (but I didn't try to burn the encoded file to the DVD, just the original) by accident because I didn't realize it wasn't going to burn it to the DVD

4) Converted file to DVD Video meaning an encoded AVI? I'm new to this stuff, don't understand it too much.

Thanks!

1. You can base on those. You can compare those TDK to Verbatim, The cleaner the picture, the better the burn.

how do I know what drive I have?

Open ImgBurn, look in the log for a line similar to this

I 23:24:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:24:11 -> Drive 1 - Info: THIS IS YOUR DRIVE NAME 1.01 (T:) (ATA)

2. Taiyo Yuden

3. You got that error because the target was set to a DVD 9 and ImgBurn can't find any cells, that can be used for the layer-break point. Did you read that Guide I linked?

I think there is no reason to make an avi to fit a DVD 9, you can safely use a DVD 5 with almost any noticeable quality loss and save your money.

Make your project in two steps, first encoding than the burn. To do that, untick Burn project to disc in DVD Flick Project Settings/Burning

4. Yes

1. You can base on those. You can compare those TDK to Verbatim, The cleaner the picture, the better the burn.

how do I know what drive I have?

Open ImgBurn, look in the log for a line similar to this

I 23:24:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:24:11 -> Drive 1 - Info: THIS IS YOUR DRIVE NAME 1.01 (T:) (ATA)

2. Taiyo Yuden

3. You got that error because the target was set to a DVD 9 and ImgBurn can't find any cells, that can be used for the layer-break point. Did you read that Guide I linked?

I think there is no reason to make an avi to fit a DVD 9, you can safely use a DVD 5 with almost any noticeable quality loss and save your money.

Make your project in two steps, first encoding than the burn. To do that, untick Burn project to disc in DVD Flick Project Settings/Burning

4. Yes

Yeah I read the guide. I used DVD Flick though, not Imgburn

However, in the end you use ImgBurn to burn the disc, (either in one step as default or in two steps like I sugested) so the Guide explain what to do in that particular case.

That's if you don't use other burning software that I don't know how it deals with the "end of the world" problem

However, in the end you use ImgBurn to burn the disc, (either in one step as default or in two steps like I sugested) so the Guide explain what to do in that particular case.

That's if you don't use other burning software that I don't know how it deals with the "end of the world" problem

Alright so I think I get it now. DVD Flick encodes the AVI but doesn't burn it to the DVD. Imgburn actually burns the encoded file from DVD Flick to my DVD.

But doesn't DVD Flick have the option of encoding the files and saving them to a folder or encoding then burning directly to DVD? Or did you mean that I could do it all at once but it's better to encode it to a file then burn it to the DVD using Imgburn?

The DVD Video files folder I was asking about would be the folder that DVD Flick saves the encoded files in?

Edited by ABC

Finaly you get it

It's a two step proces that become one batch if you don't change anything in DVD Flick settings.

DVD Flick does the encoding and save the files to a folder where you set the project, than calls ImgBurn to do the burn.

Note that DVD Flick uses an older version of ImgBurn that resides in his Program Files folder. To use the newest version in the batch, simply replace ImgBurn.exe in DVD Flick Program Files folder with the newer ImgBurn.exe found in Program Files/ImgBurn

Now, if you want to separate the batch into two steps, you have to untick Burn project to disc, otherwise it will do it in one step.

Hope it's clear enough now.

Finaly you get it

It's a two step proces that become one batch if you don't change anything in DVD Flick settings.

DVD Flick does the encoding and save the files to a folder where you set the project, than calls ImgBurn to do the burn.

Note that DVD Flick uses an older version of ImgBurn that resides in his Program Files folder. To use the newest version in the batch, simply replace ImgBurn.exe in DVD Flick Program Files folder with the newer ImgBurn.exe found in Program Files/ImgBurn

Now, if you want to separate the batch into two steps, you have to untick Burn project to disc, otherwise it will do it in one step.

Hope it's clear enough now.

Yeah I get it. But to clarify, I can either:

1) Encode with DVD Flick, burn with Imgburn

or

2) Encode and burn with DVD Flick but after replacing the executable with the updated one

Also, would I still need to use the VOB thing to set the layer break?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.