Question about software packages that fail to burn DVDs

Joy144

I recently built my first computer and transferred the CD-burner and DVD-burner from my old PC using an IDE-cable. The DVD-burner is _NEC_DVD_RW ND-3500AG firmware 2.1B (RAID) and Slave and there is no problem reading from it.

Using Ulead Burn.Now 4.5 it would not recognize my Verbatim DVD-R 16x and used 5 minutes to tell me to mount the correct DVD disc.

After spending a whole day with drivers, firmware and hardware checking I found ImgBurn.

ImgBurn worked fine after a few errors and ‘OH NO’ from the ImgBurn lady.

My question is why only ImgBurn can do the job and not the other application?

Since I kept my old Windows XP SP3 and burners it would be interesting to know what you think is the cause of this. Since ImgBurn works fine, I intend to keep my old burners for a while and learn from it.

I am really impressed with ImgBurn with its fine Log, Interface, and many thoughtful Features.

The one who made this has done a fantastic job and I have learned a lot from it.

Thanks.

post-35623-066131400 1285524735.jpg

Edited by Joy144

Thanks Spinningwheel, I can see your point.

The reason for asking such a question was not to make any changes to old software, but to understand how things work. If I should guess I think that if the firmware is not up to date, only software like ImgBurn will do enough testing and send the right commands to the burner. If this is correct then buying a new burner with up to date firmware is likely to work on most software.

Anyway, I was just curious to learn since I have spent so much time in trying to understand what went wrong.

Thanks for your kind help.

Edited by Joy144

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.