ISOs, MDS, I00, I01

judy1940

Hi,

I am very new to IMGBURN, and new also to the wonderful world of video discs.

I created a disk through a slideshow program that works on a DVD player, or a computer. To that disk I wished to add an AVI file, and a couple of other things. Piece of cake, a file is a file, yes? Turns out no, and that is how I was guided to your product.

I have produced two disks that work and one that doesn't on my DVD player (but does on the computer). The latter was when I put the AVI file in the root directory. I moved it to a folder and that seemed to work. There was a message that said as I had the AVI file there it was assumed that this was some sort of a different disk and that IMGBURN would set the parameters accordingly. I didn't understand the message so made a coaster essentially.

I start by a build reading from the created disk that works, and adding files to it. I then say I want to create and ISO file and give it a name and directory. There is never an ISO file in the directory, but instead MDS, I00, I01 files. To burn it appears to only want the MDS file. This is rather confusing to me and I didn't see it in the guide, nor find an answer by searching the forum. It appeared that some got their MDS file elsewhere.

Anyhow, after doing this I switch to burn and as there is no ISO file use the MDS file.

Questions are:

1. Am I going through extra steps given that I do have a VIDEO and AUDIO folder created by the other program?

2. Can you have an avi file in the root directory

3. I want this disk to work on MACS and PCs -- will it?

4. Any pointers, guides as to what these different files are. Most people seem to be ahead of me and googling hasn't helped all that much.

Thanks!

Judy

ImgBurn doesn't convert anything, it burns as-is.

So unless you want an AVI on your final disc, you need to convert said AVI file to DVD Video format (A VIDEO_TS folder with IFO/BUP/VOB files in it) before you try and use ImgBurn.

You can use something like DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD for the conversion.

You must have a FAT32 formatted hdd, that's why you can't get an ISO file. FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GB in size so the program has to split the image into parts (I00, I01 etc). The MDS file is used when joining the parts back together again.

ImgBurn doesn't convert anything, it burns as-is.

So unless you want an AVI on your final disc, you need to convert said AVI file to DVD Video format (A VIDEO_TS folder with IFO/BUP/VOB files in it) before you try and use ImgBurn.

You can use something like DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD for the conversion.

You must have a FAT32 formatted hdd, that's why you can't get an ISO file. FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GB in size so the program has to split the image into parts (I00, I01 etc). The MDS file is used when joining the parts back together again.

Thanks I don't want the AVI file in the DVD Video Format, I am including it so people can get better definition than they do with the DVD Video format, so that would defeat my purpose. It does appear to work to have it in a folder and also data files in a folder that I include in the build along with the VIDEO folders I get from the program. I would rather have it just sitting there stark naked so to speak along with my README file, but I am not sure that is possible.

Thanks for the explanation of the splitting up of the ISO files. The drive that I have been doing this on is a FAT32, although I could do it on another.

Judy

Ok, so if you want the avi and readme on the disc, just drag them both to the 'Source' box and hit the big 'Build' button.

You might have more luck using ISO9660 + Joliet for the file systems. Not all standalones (those that actually support playing avi! - you realise that not all of them do yeah?) will read the UDF file system... so Joliet is the best one to use.

If your disc is going to have a VIDEO_TS folder and an avi in the root, use all 3 file systems (ISO966 + Joliet + UDF)

When it asks you to correct the file system selection, just tell it not to.

Ok, so if you want the avi and readme on the disc, just drag them both to the 'Source' box and hit the big 'Build' button.

You might have more luck using ISO9660 + Joliet for the file systems. Not all standalones (those that actually support playing avi! - you realise that not all of them do yeah?) will read the UDF file system... so Joliet is the best one to use.

If your disc is going to have a VIDEO_TS folder and an avi in the root, use all 3 file systems (ISO966 + Joliet + UDF)

When it asks you to correct the file system selection, just tell it not to.

Thanks, I didn't even realize that any standalones (I guess you mean separate DVD players) would play AVI files. This is really meant for the computer user to play the AVI file and get better resolution than what he/she would from the DVD player. Trying to be all things to all people!

Judy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.