Annoyed as Hell, need help

alpha3

Greetings to all, perpetual lurker here. Never registered until now, found no need to post, I always discovered what I needed in the guides (or some of your, ah, very POINTED posts to other members, lol.) But I'm really annoyed now, and being a stubborn person I'm not giving up. Brief and to the point, what I'm trying to to is burn my copy of the movie "2012" to another playable DVD disk. No matter what I do, it doesn't cooperate. I'll get more specific momentarily.

Now, some background; I'm not a computer geek but not a dummy either. I've burnt my copies of "Lord of the Rings" trilogies and some other current/recent movies without incident. They're not pirated copies, I own all of the originals; but ever since my home was broken into a few years ago and some really good videos stolen, including some I can't now replace, I decided to learn to burn everything to DVD and keep the DVD files on a separate hard drive. Obviously, I needed to break the encryption, and when I burn them to DVD I want them to be able to be played on a home DVD player.

I did lots of reading and research, lurked on forums, talked with some friends. I know the bigger files (like 2012) have to be burnt to DL disk, they're about 7GB in size. Disk-wise, at first I liked the TDK disks, and Memorex, also having some success here and there, but have since settled on the Verbatim brand.

I've burnt files using the Video-TS folders, and even done some by creating an .ISO image. The video-ts thing seems to be best, so that's where I've been concentrating the effort.

Basically I have "DVD decrypter" on my laptop, I have 'Roxio', "Any DVD Shrink" ,"Img burn", and 'Nero'. Tried 'em all. The laptop has win7 prof and the programs named above don't fight with win7; the only one that seemed to at first was DVD decrypter, as it is an older program....but I got that to work nicely, playing around with win7's compatibility mode.

Initially I had some limited success with all of them, knowing I'd have to waste lots of disks on the learning curve. I had some questions answered in the guides here already, and I learned about the settings to UDF and ISO9660. I wanted to see what programs I liked and seemed to work best for me. I found I don't really care for Nero, (way too complicated sometimes,) Roxio is just ok, and so have pretty much settled in using "Img Burn" and 'Any DVD shrink'. I REALLY like DVD decrypter but it can't crack the newer encryptions so it won't do some of the disks. So as decrypter won't break '' 2012 '' I used 'anyDVDshrink.' I've tried burning the disks with both 'anydvdshrink' and 'IMG Burn.' Nero too. No good; here's what they do:

- *** bottom line problem and symptoms:** I burnt that blasted '2012' video every which way, as an .ISO file, also as DVD video file (where it makes the Video_TS folder.) Yes, I put in or make sure there's an Audio_TS file. Still don't get why it's needed but I do it. I've tried parsing out 'the longest title', in both DVD file and ISO types, and I've tried just copying the whole darn thing with both iso and DVD file.

The .ISO file DOES copy. But that refuses to play on anything but the computer. I have three different DVD players, a Bose home unit, a separate home unit made by Funai, and a portable DVD player by Phillips.

The ISO file only burns with IMG burn or 'shrink.' Nero won't do it...

The DVD video file, however, with the Video_TS files refuses to copy at all, with any program, saying only it can't find an IFO file. I read up on those a bit, but I fail to understand why this works in ISO mode, albeit only on the computer. Especially on the version where I touch nothing but the "copy' button. This full version doesn't seem to have errors or issues, I've watched it at least half way thru on the laptop and it seems perfect. Plus, I've never seen that response before with any other video, where it seems to 'lose' the IFO files.

Suggestions please? Forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but this seems weird.... and as it is the only failure I can't seem to get past,I think I need a different set of eyes now. Feel free to be critical but be gentle, lol......

That's way too much info to include in a post. If you want people to read it, keep it short and to the point!

It seems you don't actually have a problem with ImgBurn, but with getting something to copy and play back properly.

All we care about is being able to burn + verify a disc - the content isn't important.

We can't / won't help you with getting past copy protection (if that is indeed what the problem is), so I'm afraid you'll have to take your questions elsewhere.

That's way too much info to include in a post. If you want people to read it, keep it short and to the point!

It seems you don't actually have a problem with ImgBurn, but with getting something to copy and play back properly.

All we care about is being able to burn + verify a disc - the content isn't important.

We can't / won't help you with getting past copy protection (if that is indeed what the problem is), so I'm afraid you'll have to take your questions elsewhere.

I don't have issues with copy protection. If you read what I said, this is the only disk that hasn't worked for me. Even in ISO mode. So am I missing a step? I thought your guides were pretty good but they don't solve why the DVD file doesn't burn, nor why the ISO won't play back except on the laptop. I think, in this case, they must be a related.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.