New optical drive stopped reading perfectly good written dvds

generalx

I recently got a new computer with a windows 7 64-bit OS and a TSST Corp SH-S223C optical drive. My hobby is to burn anything that I find on the internet and create and whatnot - and I have what I consider a fairly nice collection. I maintain a list of all my dvds and their contents using the WhereIsIt v3.83.405 Portable program that has worked fine, except that recently I noticed that windows 7 gave me a notice of some smallish problem with it that I did not pay a lot of attention to at that time. At first, when I was cataloguing about a dozen dvd's everything was very nice, this after the alert. Then it would not read some discs. Now it will not read a vast majority of my burnt dvd's. Now these are my pride and joy, and I use only the best Verbatim blank dvd's. What happens when I put a disc in is that the optical drive just blinks and the green bar at the top keeps filling up and over and again. I used vso inspector, but when I put the disc in the program becomes non-responsive. I upgraded the firmware. The discs were burnt with ImgBurn (one of the previous incarnations). The computer came with one of the Nero's I deleted it but saw no improvement.

I have no idea what this is, if it is a hardware or software issue.

This collection means a lot to me, and I really want my new comp and my archive discs to get along.

Please help.

Can it still read original pressed disc? Can it burn a blank?

Did you verified you burns at that time? Can you read the discs in other computer/drive or player?

It can read some discs, even burnt ones, but others it will not. The discs that it will not read, well some the other comps will read, and some will not. I have not tried burning with it, as that is not the issue I am having now. I did not verify all the discs, but all of them had completed their burn sucessfully. Could this be a software issue with my old comp, but even then, why do some work and some not?

Edited by generalx

The discs that it will not read, well some the other comps will read, and some will not

If you not verify the discs you burn you can't be sure that was a decent burn even if it reached at the end burning succesfuly.

Some discs burn fine but can't be read back even by the drive that burned them not to mention other readers.

That's why verify is so important and nobody who cares about their burns shouldn't disable it.

As you say some read, some don't, probably the drive is not totaly toasted, yet. You can try to clean the laser with a cleaning disc or manual.

If it gives you some I/O errors it could be chipset/storage drivers related. Try update them.

Otherwise probably it don't like the discs or the burn quality is poor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.