After Burn, at DVD verification: interpretation - unrecovered error

ZeTomes

Greetings

I used AVStoDVD to convert 2 avi files to DVD format. The resulting file is an ISO. Daemon tools is off, I have a BOINC manager in backstage (offline) and any dvd is also off, but the error persists. SPTD (SPTDinst-v178-x64) is also unistalled. All went well by burning the DVD, but when it comes to verifying the burnt dvd the error itself persists.

I have certain doubts in updating the firmware

What are precisely the potential damages involving it?

PS: is there any freeware software that analysis a virgin DVD's integrity?

Thanks in advance

error_verification_imgburn.log

I 19:07:10 Destination Device: [2:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 1.01 (D:) (ATA)

I 19:07:10 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MBIPG101-R05-01) (Speeds: 4x; 8x; 12x; 16x)

I 19:07:10 Write Speed: 1x

Old firmware, crappy media and slow burn speed could be the cause of your problem. Update your burner's firmware, try burning at 8x or 12x and if it still doesn't work then try with Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden (Victor JVC) or Sony media.

From your log:

I 19:07:05 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

Any reason why you are not running SP1? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs

I 19:07:05 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 1.01 (D:) (ATA)

There is a firmware update available, http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_1532-file_GH22NS30_200%28ew%29.zip.html

I 19:07:10 Destination Device: [2:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 1.01 (D:) (ATA)

I 19:07:10 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MBIPG101-R05-01) (Speeds: 4x; 8x; 12x; 16x)

W 19:07:10 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 1.385 KB/s (1x), Got: 5.540 KB/s (4x)

1x is never an option for DVDs, and in your case only 4x is the slowest option. For single layers, minimum of 8x is usually better. Slowest burn speed != better burns.

Also, consider getting better quality discs. I am not familiar with the MBIPG101-R05-01 DYE, consider going for the Verbatim DVD+R discs that have the MCC dye.

I 19:07:39 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2226271)

I 19:07:39 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2226271)

W 19:15:15 Waiting for buffers to recover... (LBA: 1212416)

You seem to be having DMA issues. Try not to do other things while burning, as this can cause more buffer underruns. Also consider updating your chipset drivers if you have not already.

After updating your firmware, Windows to the NEXT service pack, as well as finding possible updates to your chipset/controllers, try burning your disc again. Good luck.

Old firmware, crappy media and slow burn speed could be the cause of your problem. Update your burner's firmware, try burning at 8x or 12x and if it still doesn't work then try with Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden (Victor JVC) or Sony media.

I'm using TDK DVD+R (usually I don't problem with those), but I also have Verbatin. I'll take a try

Thanks for the lightning response :~)

From your log: Any reason why you are not running SP1? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs

Ain't I? Gee, didn't know... :B

I have certain doubts of doing so, what are the involved potential problems by doing so?

1x is never an option for DVDs, and in your case only 4x is the slowest option. For single layers, minimum of 8x is usually better. Slowest burn speed != better burns.

I had the same wondering about lowest burning - the better quality. I'll transfer it to 8x :~)

Also, consider getting better quality discs. I am not familiar with the MBIPG101-R05-01 DYE, consider going for the Verbatim DVD+R discs that have the MCC dye.

I'm using TDK (my used mark since pre-historic times, but I also have Verbatim - I'll take your advise

You seem to be having DMA issues. Try not to do other things while burning, as this can cause more buffer underruns. Also consider updating your chipset drivers if you have not already.

What are DMA issues...? :~S (I am also apologist of not processing several things at the same time - I'll be more rigid about it)

After updating your firmware, Windows to the NEXT service pack, as well as finding possible updates to your chipset/controllers, try burning your disc again. Good luck.

I'm quite nerd at these questions, what are chipset/controllers?

Your guys are faster than lighting responding

Thank you very much for the detailed answer :~)

Edited by ZeTomes

You seem to be having DMA issues.
I 19:22:02 Average Write Rate: 5.326 KB/s (3.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5.782 KB/s (4.2x)

Aslo Win 7 is running, so I would say no. Looks more as some other program kicked in and stole the hard disk speed.

You seem to be having DMA issues.
I 19:22:02 Average Write Rate: 5.326 KB/s (3.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5.782 KB/s (4.2x)

Aslo Win 7 is running, so I would say no. Looks more as some other program kicked in and stole the hard disk speed.

I'm a total nerd in these matters dear Cynthia... which usual programs might have those nasty habits? :B

Any more information I can gladly dispose?

Edited by ZeTomes

I have certain doubts of doing so, what are the involved potential problems by doing so?

The worst case scenario is to damaging the drive but that is possible only if the power goes down in the time of flashing.

Don't be scared about that potentiality if you have a UPS. Also what chances are to cut the power at that particular time when you do the flashing (~30-60 sec)

I've done probably more than 100 firmware updates without any problem whatever.

Think about it: It's the easiest fix from what you can try, and chances are to realy fix your problem.

If that don't fix it, move to other try like chipset/storage drivers. This site may help identify what needs updating and provide the links.

Then try other discs like recommended in previous posts.

The worst case scenario is to damaging the drive but that is possible only if the power goes down in the time of flashing.

Don't be scared about that potentiality if you have a UPS. Also what chances are to cut the power at that particular time when you do the flashing (~30-60 sec)

I've done probably more than 100 firmware updates without any problem whatever.

Think about it: It's the easiest fix from what you can try, and chances are to realy fix your problem.

If that don't fix it, move to other try like chipset/storage drivers. This site may help identify what needs updating and provide the links.

Then try other discs like recommended in previous posts.

Thanks for the advice,and I'll check for other updates. Installed already the firmware, indeed it was quick and not problematic at all.

Let's see how it works

Firmware installed, verbatin used, speed changed to 8x, ram maximized to almost no programs interfering, SPTD unistalled, and every went perfectly good, let's see the next one. (And I though the psychosomatic hypothesis was the one...

Thanks everybody for the great help :~)

Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.