DVD-Video Skipping

safwaan

Hello

I'm using Imgburn to burn DVD videos however when I play the DVDs on a standalone DVD player i keep getting skipping or pauses, these pauses happen at specific points in the video however if I was to go back to that point the DVD player plays it fine - its only when the DVD is played for the first time when inserted that this happens. This happens when the DVDs are played in different brand DVD players I have tried Cambridge Audio - Phillips - Pioneer DVD players the skipping occurs on all DVD players however is worst on the Phillips DVD player.

The DVDs are being burned from a 1TB HDD on my PC which is not the HDD windows is installed on. The PC has 4gb memory and the OS is Win7 Ultimate x64. The motherboard in the PC is a Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H and the processor is a Phenom II 955. PC is powered by a OCZ 700W PSU. I'm burning using the latest version of Imgburn no errors occur in the log whilst burning and verification comes back fine.

This has been happening for some time so I have tried, by the process of elimination, to work out what is causing it. The brand of disc that I am using is Verbatim, the DVD has been burned onto a DVD-R, DVD+R & DVD+R DL each time this skipping occurs. I have tried using TDK and Imation discs however the skipping occurred and it seamed to be more severe. The speed at which the discs are burnt is 4x I have tried it at 8x this had no effect.

I Initially though it was the DVD burner [TSSTcorpCDDVDW_SH-S223Q_S - on most up to date firmware] so I bought a new DVD burner [HL-DT-STDVDRAM_GH24LS50_Y - on most upto date firmware] however the skipping still occurred.

Next > I thought it could be a buffer underun error so I increased the memory used within the settings of Imgburn to 512mb - both buffers in Imgburn rarely drop below 95% whilst the disc is being burnt until the end burning.

Next > I read in another forum that the SATA controllers can sometimes cause problems when buring DVDs, I downloaded the latest drivers from Gigabytes website and tried burning a DVD - this had no effect discs still skip. I then uninstalled the drivers completely and set the controller to use the default Windows driver - discs still skip.

Next > at this point I was so frustrated that I decided to remove everything and start again. New DVD burner [PIONEER_DVD-RW__DVR-219L1], new motherboard [GA-990FXA-UD7], new memory [8gb DDR3], all drivers upto date on a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate x64 on to a new HDD with no other software apart from Imgburn installed burned a Verbatim DVD-R DL today and tried to watch it - it is still skipping.

I've run out of ideas any help on this would be much appreciated - one last thing the same DVD burned via a laptop DVD burner plays back fine in the DVD player - this is what leads me to believe there must be some way of fixing this. The only thing I haven't changed in the HDD however I don't believe this could be causing the error as the file wouldn't playback on the PC if this was the case.

thanks

How is the disc play on the computer in a software player?

Does the source files (image mounted in virtual drive) play nice on the computer before burn?

Can you show us a log with burn and verify? Look in Help menu.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.