SATA interal ports on a PCI card?

dbminter

Do they make PCI cards with internal SATA ports on them? I got to thinking. I've been having an SATA related problem since March of 2010. My thought was if there is a problem with the SATA on the mobo, I can try, instead of replacing the entire PC, to add a PCI card with internal SATA ports on them and connect the two devices that currently connected to the mobo and see if the problems get better. It appears that not all the SATA ports on the mobo are problematic. I had had a problem with random PC reboots failing to start Windows until I swapped around the SATA connection with a different one. I've not had the problem of random file renames, folder undeletions, etc. on that HD connected to that SATA port. Only one of the CD burners and a 2nd HD connected to the mobo.

Thanks!

Interesting, I've not seen a PCIe card with the Sil3124 chipset on it before.

The Sil3124 is PCI/PCI-X only (i.e. no real PCIe support)... I guess that's why there's another chip on the board with a heatsink - to provide a PCIe -> PCI/PCI-X bridge.

I think I'd prefer a real PCIe implementation via the Sil3132 chipset - but that only has 2 ports and not 4.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.