Invalid Windows XP Product Key?

OldFred

I followed the excellent Guide on the ImgBurn Support Forum called "How to create a Windows XP installation disc (bootable) using ImgBurn (Slipstream a service pack and burn a new disc)". I have been trying to install Windows XP on some new hardware and my Windows XP Installation disk is from before Service Pack 2 (which is required to recognize the PCI buss). The above ImgBurn Guide instructed me how to incorporate SP2 into an installation disc and the installation went very smooth up until it asked me to enter my Product Key. I entered my perfectly valid Product Key and up popped a dialog box that said my Product Key is Invalid! Of course, I tripled checked to be certain that I entered it correctly. BTW, this new computer is not attached to the internet yet, so there was also no way for the installation software to talk to Microsoft. Any ideas about what caused this? Is a Product Key somehow linked to a particular CD? Any help will be appreciated.

Why did you slipstream SP2 when SP3 is out?

Are you sure the CD you used was meant for the key you're trying to use? I don't mean that there's a 1:1 relationship between discs and keys, but I believe the key has to be of the right 'type' (retail, oem, corporate etc).

XP installation keys are 5 blocks of 5 numbers. Yours is like that yeah?

• 2 weeks later...

Lightning UK: You were so right. Turns out I have two WinXP Product keys and the second one worked. Sorry for the trouble.

BTW, ImgBurn worked VERY well and the help files made it easy. I can't wait to find the time to explore your program further.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.