Burn dvd files as data disc

Genaugmen

I was having the hardest problem finding out how to change the disc type to 'data'. I changed the file system to udf and now it burns folders containing video_ts and audio_ts as a data disc, but it eliminates the folder that these files are in. imgburn doesn't give the option concerning root directory, the resulting disc has only the contents of the folder that the dvd video files are in but not the folder that contains them. This is really annoying as I'm trying to archive dvd projects and I need the named folder that contains the project, not just the contents of the folder. Any help??

If you use Advanced input, even if it finds your video_ts folder inside the folder you're adding, there's nothing stopping you from adding it back.

If the VIDEO_TS folder is more than 1 folder deep, it won't find it either.

i.e. It'll find the 'video_ts' folder in a folder called 'name_of_movie' if that's what you add, but it won't find it if 'name_of_movie' is in a 'movies' folder and that's what you add.

Likewise, if you add 2 movie folders at the same time it won't auto find the video_ts folders - 'name_of_movie_1' and 'name_of_movie_2'.

Even just adding a 'dummy.txt' alongside 'name_of_movie' in the standard build mode 'Source' box will stop it finding the video_ts folder and making a DVD Video disc.

Well I just noticed the advanced input method. But imgburn still only adds the contents of the folder to the project, not the folder itself. I see that I can create a folder and then put the contents in it afterwards, but why can I not just drag the folder over and the file structure remain intact? Why does imgburn insist on removing the parent directory if dvd video files are contained within? There has to be a more straight forward way to do this!? I back up a lot of stuff and I like imgburn because I can run 3 instances and burn & verify all 3 at once at 12x. But the extra steps involved with simply backing up my movie projects is annoying.

Edited by Genaugmen

There are 3 ways of auto creating a DVD Video disc in ImgBurn - because everyone likes to do things differently.

1. Add the IFO/VOB/BUP files to the source window (ImgBurn knows to put them in a VIDEO_TS folder)

2. Add the VIDEO_TS (or folder of any other name) containing IFO/VOB/BUP files (ImgBurn knows to treat the folder as a VIDEO_TS folder)

3. Add the parent folder of a VIDEO_TS folder (ImgBurn knows to ignore the parent and just add its contents)

Based on the above methods of doing things, the program has to work in one of two ways....

Either it assumes the user wants to 'backup' their DVD Video compilations (putting stuff exactly where the user tells it) or it assumes they want to burn a working DVD Video disc.

9 times out of 10 (probably way more) it's always going to be the latter - and so that's why it does what it does.

Unfortunately, you're in the 1/10 group. Maybe you're also in the 9/10 group... just not when you created this thread.

It's nice that imgburn wants to assume the type of project I'm trying to burn, but is there no way of choosing differently than what the program assumes? It asks in other situations. Or is manually creating a folder in advanced input window and then dropping my files into that folder the only option I have?

There's no way to turn off specific assumptions for DVD Video stuff, no. It has been made more and more automatic with each version (to cut down on (for the most part) unnecessary prompting).

You can do anything to break what I said in my previous post and it won't be able to assume anything.

So if the video_ts folder isn't called video_ts and you add its parent, it won't be picked up.

If you add the parent and a dummy file to the 'Source' box in standard input mode, it won't be picked up - because the auto DVD Video assumption stuff is mainly based around a single item in the source list.

In my mind, that's the quickest, easiest and best way around the issue you're having.

Basically, I'd just need to add an option to disable auto assume DVD Video if the parent folder is added... and then it would revert to prompting each time or something.

It's perfectly do-able but this issue pops up so infrequently (you might be the first), I just haven't had reason to do it yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.