imgburn tries to load if I double click a photo

beachgod

Imgburn tries to load every time I double click on photos in order to view them instead of them coming up with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. To top it off, it then gives me an error message "Invalid or unsupported image file format!" so it doesn't even do anything after it does try to load.

The search function said my title had illegal search words (?) and I'm not figuring it out on my own, other than delete imgburn from my computer until I need it, then install it, use it and delete it again or right click on a photo and manually select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer every single time I want to view a photo. Not fun. So now what?

I'm using XP SP2 and have used it and imgburn for years without this problem. I have a new motherboard and did fresh installs and this has gone on since Day 1.

It sounds like your file associations have got messed up.

There are quick ways of fixing it and proper ways.

The quick way would be to right click the file, select 'open with', pick windows picture and fax viewer' from the list of app and tell windows to always use that app for that file type by ticking the checkbox.

Another quick way would be to click Tools -> Folder Options in an Explorer window, then switch to the 'File Types' tab, find the file extension in question and change the app that opens it.

The proper way (and way you'd find out WHY it happened) would be to open RegEdit (via the Run command - Windows key + R), expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and find the file extension (e.g. .jpg)

Read the value of '(Default)' from the right pane and then navigate to that in the left pane (e.g. jpegfile) - if it's empty, stay where you are.

30-11-2011 17-04-53.png

The stuff under the 'shell' branch is what you see when you right click the file.

30-11-2011 17-06-08.png

If you let me know what it says, I'll tell you what happened and why - plus find the app that caused the problem in the first place.

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply.

I looked at regedit and my jpg files say PSP7.image, which is Paint Shop Pro, which was recently uninstalled from my computer. Maybe the bogus association is causing imgburn to go bonkers and try to load. I'll reinstall PSP and change the file association preferences in it and see what happens.

If PaintShopPro associated itself with and made itself the default app for a file extension supported by ImgBurn, that would explain it.

The problem with using something generic like 'PSP7.image' is that a change made under 'PSP7.image' will apply to ALL the file extensions that redirect to it.

so where you've got .jpg -> PSP7.image, there could also be .img -> PSP7.image.

If ImgBurn then (quite harmlessly) adds an option in PSP7.image that technically allows for a 'Write using ImgBurn' option on the context menu of IMG files, that option is then available for both .jpg and .img.

If PSP had used 'PSP7.image.jpg' and 'PSP7.image.img' instead (no longer generic), ImgBurn would have only added itself under 'PSP7.image.img' and your .jpg file extensions wouldn't have been touched.

You could just search for psp7.image in regedit and delete everything you find. It should just be in those '(Default)' values and then perhaps an actual 'HKCR\PSP7.image' key.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.