Backup Image

Dreamer_n_kansas

Howdy folks. I actually wanted to just PM LUK, with my question, but I'm prohibited by the board policy. I'm interested in making archive image files in ISO format. The purpose of which is to mount the images say, in DAEMON tools for use on the computer with no risk of damaging the original media. I've many times in life been burnt by ruining the original media; and especially with home recordings, the original is completely unique and unreproducible. I also have many older CD PC based games that get reinstalled every time I wipe and load my PC. I've run into some snags recently as I have also decided this would be a good practice for my purchased movies. A friend of mine recently ruined 101 Dalmatians due to it being dropped and inadvertently stepped on. I'm not interested in "ripping" per se because I'm not using the media outside of it's original source and I don't want it exported to a different format - in deed, i want all copy protection in place as it was intended to be, but I do want a useable image. I didn't really want to post here due to the rampant p2p pirating and sharing of copy righted movies and such, but there is legitimate use for a bit by bit exact duplicate of a source disk. I actually thought that's what the binary cue type of write was for, but i get your "don't blame me if it doesn't work" warning message on anything copy protected - and in deed, it doesn't work. Doing some basic reading (I'm really slow at that) it's become quite clear pirating is not supported here Spinningwheel has a very nice note about that in his sig :) So, no flames please. I'm simply wondering if there is a way to accomplish my archiving needs with this program - which, by the way I have used for about a year now and I absolutely love it -- or if there's no way to accomplish my task. All of the "rippers" I've found in my searches have turned up programs that change the format so it can be freely copied and that's not my intentions at all, thus my decision to go ahead and post here with my question, which basically I guess is: Is it possible to make a bit for bit mountable image copy of a copyrighted disk? The reason for an exact copy is like, with Unreal Tournament 2004, although the image will mount, whatever copy protection tactics they use, it detects that it's a mounted image (or at least not an original). It's been buffed twice and according to the CD Trade post guy, can only be buffed one more time. A lot of the games I play are rapidly becoming difficult to get copies of and I personally don't believe I should have to keep buying copies of a game just because I'm using it as designed.

Thanks for your time and a great program.

Edited by Dreamer_n_kansas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.