Trouble with BD-RE

insaneoctane

Using a new verbatim BD-RE (Disc ID: VERBAT-IM0-00). I first started with a full-erase that imgburn did by default. Then I burned bluray data onto the formatted disc. The disc is totally readable in the LG burner that wrote the disc, but I can not read it at all in other devices (I've tried both my Lite-ON and my PS3). I found this thread which seems similar. I've tried enabling spare areas (that's running right now), but I don't understand what this setting does and it appears that is caused my BD-RE to format slower and worse, write data at 1x instead of 2.4x. I'd like some education towards what this setting does and what else I might try to get this disc visible in drives besides my burner. I'll attach my format log to help. I'll try my newly formatted (with spare areas this time) as soon as it finishes (SLOW burn at 1x), but after the format, I popped it in my Lite-ON to see if it would recognize it formatted (but empty) and it never saw a disc, so I'm not very optimistic. Honestly, at 1x speed, I'm not even sure this is an acceptable workaround. Any and all help is appreciated!

I 11:57:22 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 11:57:22 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)

I 11:57:22 Total Physical Memory: 4,192,560 KB - Available: 1,476,716 KB

W 11:57:22 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

I 11:57:22 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:57:22 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:57:22 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHES106 2 AL0A (L:) (RAID)

I 11:57:22 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00 (W:) (RAID)

I 11:57:22 Found 1 BD-ROM/DVD±RW and 1 BD-RE!

I 12:12:09 Operation Started!

I 12:12:09 Device: [3:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00 (W:) (RAID)

I 12:12:09 Media Type: BD-RE (Disc ID: VERBAT-IM0-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 12:12:09 Quick Erase: No

I 12:12:09 Format Properly: Yes

I 12:12:09 Format Size: Preferred

I 12:12:09 Format With Full Certification: Yes

I 12:12:09 Format Without Spare Areas: No

I 12:12:09 Erasing Disc...

I 13:24:43 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:12:33

I 13:24:43 Operation Started!

I 13:24:43 Device: [3:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00 (W:) (RAID)

I 13:24:43 Media Type: BD-RE (Disc ID: VERBAT-IM0-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 13:24:43 Media Sectors: 11,826,176

I 13:24:43 BD-RE FastWrite: No

I 13:24:43 Zeroing Sectors...

I 14:57:07 Synchronising Cache...

I 14:57:07 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:32:23 - Total Duration: 02:44:57

I 14:57:07 Average Write Rate: 4,267 KB/s (0.9x)

...but I don't understand what this setting does

I found the documentation and read up on the spare areas. It didn't make any difference. Either did changing my drives to be IDE mode instead of AHCI (trying to get rid of the RAID status). I can't quite crack this. Help?

I'm not entirely sure BD combo drives were ever really designed to read BD-RE discs. Their support for them could be somewhat limited/lacking.

I've seen other posts (elsewhere) where people have been having the same problem with them not reading BD-RE discs (maybe they were your posts too?!)

Your PS3 shouldn't have a problem with them though (mine certainly doesn't) - unless it has a bad/dirty laser.

Are you quite sure it can't read the disc at all? Not even as a simple data disc (rather than a BD video or whatever) ?

The 'RAID' bit will be from your drivers. What sort of chipset does your board use? NVIDIA/AMD ones tend to say 'RAID' a lot more (all the time?!) than Intel ones do.

You should be using ImgBurn v2.5.6.0 now btw. Old versions aren't supported.

I'm not entirely sure BD combo drives were ever really designed to read BD-RE discs. Their support for them could be somewhat limited/lacking.

I looked up the specs on my combo drive (LiteOn iHES106):

Supported Media Types DVD-R , DVD-RW , BD-ROM DL , DVD-ROM , DVD+R , DVD+R DL , CD-ROM , DVD+RW , BD-R , CD-R , DVD-R DL , CD-RW , DVD-RAM , BD-RE , BD-ROM , BD-RE DL , BD-R DL

Spec found here

I've seen other posts (elsewhere) where people have been having the same problem with them not reading BD-RE discs (maybe they were your posts too?!)

I have posted another thread on myce.com under the same username, so if there are others maybe I'm not alone...I didn't find anything clear cut to solve my problem.

Your PS3 shouldn't have a problem with them though (mine certainly doesn't) - unless it has a bad/dirty laser.

Are you quite sure it can't read the disc at all? Not even as a simple data disc (rather than a BD video or whatever) ?

I will try again to verify.

The 'RAID' bit will be from your drivers. What sort of chipset does your board use? NVIDIA/AMD ones tend to say 'RAID' a lot more (all the time?!) than Intel ones do.

Both drives are on the gigabyte SATA chipset from my Gigabyte (ep45-ud3p) motherboard. It has 6 Intel SATA ports and 2 Gigabyte SATA ports. I have both optical drives on the Gigabyte SATA ports which are set to AHCI-mode in the BIOS. I changed the ports to IDE-mode and ImgBurn still showed RAID in the drive status. I've never had any trouble with this ports with the LiteOn iHES106.

You should be using ImgBurn v2.5.6.0 now btw. Old versions aren't supported.

I will upgraid immediately, do you think this could be a factor?

I know this isn't an exciting problem, I'm just uncertain where the problem lies. It really acts like the BD-RE media is not being formatted/written in a fashion that makes them readable in other devices. Thanks for your time.

PS3 did read BD-RE with spare areas enabled. I'm trying without again with the latest ver (2.5.6.0) since without spare areas it's much faster. This is good news, but it seems like my LiteOn doesn't want to read these Verbatim BD-REs

I have a Samsung BD combo drive that has the same problem with certain writable discs. You'll notice in this thread that I couldn't scan certain discs in it because it failed to recognise them.

The Gigabyte ports will be the ones on the JMicron chipset. Whilst there are worse chipsets for optical drives, the proper Intel ones *are* better.

Make sure you have the latest driver installed from here - ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/

Check for motherboard bios updates too because they sometimes contain updated option roms (like for the jmicron controller).

The drive has complete control over the format. ImgBurn tells it to format and it formats it. ImgBurn just waits for it to say it's finished.

No, upgrading to 2.5.6.0 won't magically fix your problem (it's not a software issue)... but it will fix other ones you may not even know you had.

Just to follow up. I reformatted the disc again, this time without the spare areas. The format went faster. I burned about 12GB of AVCHD home movies onto it and the PS3 read it fine. So, I think I've only concluded that my LiteOn iHES106 doesn't like this media. I'll look into this problem now. Thanks for all the support!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.