vdd extension? seems to work. any info on this

radman2020

I have a virtual drive program that won't seem to write to a iso file.. but it does write to a vdd file. vdd isn't listed on the file list that img burn burns... but it seems to accept it and burn my dvd. I tried using that dvd on another computer and it works. I am using this for archiving so I am worried about something I might not know about. Does anyone know about vdd files and whether there are any probs with burning them with ImgBurn?

thx

You'd have to ask the people that made your virtual drive program about stuff that's specific to the files it creates.

ImgBurn will make an attempt to burn anything that's semi like an ISO, but you have no way of knowing if what it's burning is anything useful / correct.

The safer option would be to mount the VDD and use ImgBurn to make a 'supported' image from the virtual drive.

Out of interest, what program is it that you're using?

The program is phantom burner. It has a feature to burn iso files but it doesn't work. I also tried phantom drive but it didn't work. I wish there were some program out there that would act as a virtual burner to make iso files... that any of my regular software programs would recognize as a burner and use... Seems like a simple thing but it just doesn't seem to be out there. Thankfully, some of my best programs do have iso as an option for burning.

By the way, what I am using this for is backup for my photos. The instructions on the virtual burners say I have to be careful because, if there are any video files mixed in there (and there are because my camera takes video), the iso format won't work. I took out all the video files to see if that was the problem with the virtual disks and iso files but it didn't help.

My question to you though is what you mean about a supported image? Do you mean that I should make an iso from the vdd using imgburn? I looked for this option and didn't see it. I was able to do it by burning an actual disk and then creating an image file from the disk. Is that what you mean? Would this work though if the dvd had photo and video files on it?

thx

I don't fully understand why you're using a virtual burner at all? Why not just copy the pictures/videos to your hard drive and burn them straight to disc with normal burning software?

I wish there were some program out there that would act as a virtual burner to make iso files.

Virtual CD's virtual burner can be told to mount discs and output as ISO files.

The instructions on the virtual burners say I have to be careful because, if there are any video files mixed in there (and there are because my camera takes video), the iso format won't work.

I'm fairly sure that doesn't mean what you think it means. All you're doing is burning the actual picture/video files. You're certainly allowed to have both on a data disc.

My question to you though is what you mean about a supported image? Do you mean that I should make an iso from the vdd using imgburn?

If the virtual burner you're using only saves in VDD format, just mount that VDD file in the virtual drive and then point ImgBurn's 'Read' mode at the virtual drive and have it create a new ISO (or BIN/CUE is reading a complex CD). Then burn that ISO (or BIN/CUE) in Write mode.

I don't fully understand why you're using a virtual burner at all? Why not just copy the pictures/videos to your hard drive and burn them straight to disc with normal burning software?

Because I am archiving one year at a time. It takes 33 dvd disks to do that. The photo archiving programs I use sort the files so that they fit neatly on multiple dvds. If I were to use IMGburn for example, I'd have to sort my photos into separate 4.5 gig folders manually.

I wish there were some program out there that would act as a virtual burner to make iso files.

Virtual CD's virtual burner can be told to mount discs and output as ISO files.

Phantom burner is made by the same author...not sure why it has a different name. For some reason, the burn fails every time I try it.

The instructions on the virtual burners say I have to be careful because, if there are any video files mixed in there (and there are because my camera takes video), the iso format won't work.

I'm fairly sure that doesn't mean what you think it means. All you're doing is burning the actual picture/video files. You're certainly allowed to have both on a data disc.

agree... not sure what they mean...

My question to you though is what you mean about a supported image? Do you mean that I should make an iso from the vdd using imgburn?

If the virtual burner you're using only saves in VDD format, just mount that VDD file in the virtual drive and then point ImgBurn's 'Read' mode at the virtual drive and have it create a new ISO (or BIN/CUE is reading a complex CD). Then burn that ISO (or BIN/CUE) in Write mode.

sounds like a plan... I have been burning directly from vdd to DVD and it seems to work but maybe doing what you say is safer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.