Problem Burning A DVD+R Data Disc

Ian K

Hi,

First things first, if I've posted this topic in the wrong section then feel free to move it to the correct place in the forum.

Ok, this will sound like a really stupid problem, I'm sure, but I'll go ahead anyway...

I have an Advent laptop that is fast running out of hard disc space and so I've finally been forced into cleaning up some of the mess that I have on here. There are lots and lots of home movies that I've uploaded to my computer from my camcorder and which I want to put now onto DVD+R. I've got hundreds of blank discs and thought I could make a lot of space by transferring the files onto the DVDs.

On my other machine (a desktop) I have an old version of Nero which I've used without trouble in the past to do all sorts of burning, but my laptop didn't have any kind of burning software at all until I installed ImgBurn. If I'd had the room on the desktop I'd have used that, but I don't.

As I only want to store the .avi files as data on the DVDs I thought it would be a simple enough process to use Windows itself to do the job. I familiarised myself quickly with what was required and after formatting the disc, I dragged and dropped the appropriate files into the DVD. I've got several folders full of files, but I've been careful to make sure that each folder only has approximately 4GB of data. As the DVDs are the standard 4.7GB, there should be enough room to fit one folder per disc.

In my first attempt after about 5 minutes all individual files had been transferred onto the DVD. Great, or so I thought. The final step in completing the process was to press eject on the DVD drive. It waited another 30 seconds or so while it did whatever it does and then the DVD was ejected. I immediately reinserted it to check that everything was okay... only to find that it wasn't. While the DVD icon in 'My Computer' showed there was a disc with approx. 200MB of space remaining (thereby leading me to believe I had done the job properly), the DVD itself appeared to have nothing on it! I double clicked the icon and it was devoid of files/icons! I was puzzled and ever since then I've been grasping in the dark.

It was after this that I installed ImgBurn and used the Write files/folders to Disc function. Everything seemed to be going according to plan until I got to 96% of the way through. I then received an error notification. I took a screenshot of it which you can see in the attached file. There were 18 movie files in the folder and the error seems to have occurred while processing the last one.

I clicked cancel and when I checked the disc I found that while most of the movies did seem to have burned across successfully, not all did, including the last one. I am sorry, but I have no clue what is wrong and would appreciate any help you can give. Please be aware that I am total newbie when it comes to using your software, so I apologise in advance for all of this.

Kind regards to all,

Ian K

post-48231-0-17974600-1352549587_thumb.jpg

Major apologies for my oversight. Feel free to bash me about the head some more with a chair. Maybe you'll dislodge my brain from it's current location... inside my ear! :wink:

Let's try this again, shall we? Attached is my log file and I would really appreciate it if you or any of your similarly violent friends could help me solve my problem. Thank you in anticipation.

Ian

ImgBurn.log

Ok, I cleaned the drive, updated the software, changed the burning speed to 4x and the only thing I didn't do was to change the type of discs I used as I have loads of them. Same result, it didn't work. Then a brainwave struck me and I thought, "maybe ImgBurn is just a pile of shit!", and with this revelation I downloaded and installed another free burning program instead and it worked first time simply with no complications confirming my epiphany.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.