Drive Icons and Context Menus Change After Using ImgBurn

tooncestcat

This started happening after the latest update to v2.5.8.0.

After I burn a disc in either my DVD+RW Drive (TSSTcorp DVD+RW SH216AB) or my BD-RE Drive (HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH30N) the icons in My Computer change to a plain drive and disc. In other words, the "DVD" and "BD" graphics are no longer there. This happens on which ever drive I use with ImgBurn. The icon change is no big deal, but the loss of all of the media player programs in the drive's context menus is really irritating. I have tried everything I can think of to refresh the drive once they get into this state, including disabling them and then re-enabling. The only thing that seems to bring them back to their normal state is rebooting the PC. I am running a fully patched version of Windows 7 Ultimate. The drives show the size of the data on any disc that is inserted, but the name of the disc does not appear. All of this applies to both burned discs and commercial DVDs and BDs. A reboot of the PC always corrects the problem.

ImgBurn appears to function normally and there's nothing overtly strange in the burn logs.

It's entirely possible that this issue is related to a setting that I may have inadvertently changed...Sadly, I have no clue as to what I did if that is the problem.

Thanks! 

-Toonces

I thought it might be helpful to add the following files:

1. Image of the drive icon before and during the burn...

post-52414-0-67687300-1379448980_thumb.jpg

2. Image of the drive icon as the disc is ejected and the ImgBurn finish notification appears...

post-52414-0-14813300-1379448979_thumb.jpg

3. Image of the drive icon with the disc reinserted...Shows data size, but not the disc name...It should read: DVD_TEST_FLDR

post-52414-0-47711100-1379449482_thumb.jpg

4. The ImgBurn log from the burn...My default speed is 8X, but I used a DVD-RW that wanted 4X. The icon issue happens whether there is a write-speed miscompare or not...

ImgBurn_9-17-2013.log

Edited by tooncestcat

Have you disabled autoinsert / autoplay / autorun on your machine?

Does the OS make any attempt to 'play' the disc once you've reinserted it?

Machine is set to "Take No Action" for everything. It's always been set that way.

Nothing happens other than the data size showing up. Only a reboot, as far as I've been able to discover, restores everything to normal.

Take a look at the 'Device' tab within ImgBurn's settings and just check the operating system options are all checked.

Under Options all are checked

Eject Tray After...  Read and Write are checked

Sort By - Address

Operating System Options - All three are checked

Synchronize Selection Area - All are checked with one selection in each grayed out

I don't believe I've ever changed any of these except the adding the eject for Read and Write

The 'operating system' ones are read from the OS itself, they aren't technically ImgBurn options. Anyway, they're all still enabled so that's good.

Sorry, I don't know why it isn't trying to read the burn disc properly. I don't have that problem here.

I'll put up some questions on a few of the good Win 7 forums and see anyone there has any idea. I did forget to add that when I burn 3D images, I usually use the DVDFab burning engine instead of ImgBurn and the BD drive remains normal in that case.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I love ImgBurn and this is definitely a small-potatoes problem. After a few burns, a reboot is never a bad idea anyway...:-)

Thanks for looking at the issue for me!

-Toonces

It's probably due to the way ImgBurn locks and dismounts the drive during the burn (you can't access it from Explorer when ImgBurn is busy with it). That doesn't really explain why the OS on your machine isn't kicking back into action and attempting to read the file system on the burnt disc though.

One thing I would say... if you haven't already done so, make sure you've closed ImgBurn before putting the disc back in the drive.

Ensuring ImgBurn is shut, ejecting the disc, refreshing 'My Computer', inserting the disc again and refreshing 'My Computer' is usually enough to fix problems like this.

It's probably due to the way ImgBurn locks and dismounts the drive during the burn (you can't access it from Explorer when ImgBurn is busy with it). That doesn't really explain why the OS on your machine isn't kicking back into action and attempting to read the file system on the burnt disc though.

One thing I would say... if you haven't already done so, make sure you've closed ImgBurn before putting the disc back in the drive.

Ensuring ImgBurn is shut, ejecting the disc, refreshing 'My Computer', inserting the disc again and refreshing 'My Computer' is usually enough to fix problems like this.

I left the task manager open and watched ImgBurn close down before I cycled the tray and reinserted the burned disc. I also refreshed the explorer window several times as well just to be sure. None of it helped. That's the bad news.

The good news is it's pretty much a non-issue now as I found that when I right click on the drive icon with the disc inserted, I still get the "Open Autoplay..." context option which let's me select from PowerDVD, VLC, Windows Media, or the DVDFab players. Picking any of these makes the drive recognize the media and it plays just fine. I feel like an idiot for noticing it sooner, but nonetheless, I really do appreciate your efforts.

If I find anything in the Win 7 forums, I will follow-up... :yes:

Thanks!

-Toonces

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.