Writes that complete but fail Verifies

dbminter

I was wondering about when Writes complete but their Verifies fail.

Why does this occur, actually?  :)  I mean, why would it successfully make a particular block of data written to a disc that doesn't cause ImgBurn to fail but when it Verifies that block of written data, it fails?

Is it because there's no actual "verification" process of writes by drives?  Meaning the drive just writes and ImgBurn only fails if the drive fails to write catastrophically to a drive?  Like if the target media is defective and can't be written to for whatever reason?

I ask because I've noticed because, naturally Verify fails occur after a full Write process completes.  Because, how could a Verify start if an actual Write process failed.  :wink:  Only on a few occasions, when the drive was actually failing, did ImgBurn stop writing to a disc.  So, sometimes, the drive would fail a Write but more often than not a failing drive would exhibit that it writes to media but only fails during the Verify process.

I guess a drive can just think it has done an ok job of writing stuff when really it didn't.

They don't check as they burn, so some mistakes go unnoticed. As you say, it's only catastrophic errors that the drive ever reports back to the program and would then get shown to the end user.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.