burning ISO to BD-RE causes PC to crash and makes Disc un-usable.

Roy.wcs

I have been using IMGBURN since it was first produced and have found it very successful. But now Using a new Batch of Verbatim BD-RE,s to burn an ISO, I find Imgburn  says the disc has to be formatted and after clicking onto yes it proceeds to format the disc and about half way through it stops and says operation failed and the PC crashes and the discs are rendered un-usable.   If I use windows disc image burn programme on an unused disc from the same batch, the burn is done instantly. Then IMGburn will re-write to that disc with no problem. Unfortunately I discovered that only after ruining half the batch of discs. Earlier examples of Verbatim  BD-RE,s still work okay with INGBURN and never needed formatting.  Maybe the structure or Dye in Verbatim  BD-RE has been altered and INGBURN doesn't cope with it.   I would like to know if there is a cure for this problem.

You can format quickly or you can format properly. ImgBurn defaults to doing it properly.

When you say your PC crashes, what exactly do you mean? Blue screen of death?

You can't ruin a BD-RE disc (unless your drive seriously messed it up), just format it again.

It would be useful to see a log file of you formatting / writing one of the discs. Even just seeing the disc info from the box on the right would help. Maybe that info from one of your old discs and again from your new ones so I can see what the MID changed to.

MIDs are not something software has to worry about. Knowing how to burn a specific disc is the job of the drive's firmware/chipset and nothing to do with software.

I have no more BD-RE discs to use. The ones I have quoted to be un-usable are just that. If I re-insert them into the LG burner and Use IMGBURN to burn an ISO to the disc everything freezes so I can't re-format the disc. I have to shut down the PC and restart it  in order to continue using it. I am 87 years old and do not understand the technical details. I only know how to use programmes.

I forgot to mention on my previous post that I am not the only one with this problem, other people have reported this problem on other forums, and one stated that the only way he could use BD-RE,s was to format on another programme and then he could use ingburn. I find this too.   He went on to say that the only way he could re-format the discs unsuccessfully used on IMGBURN was to format them on NERO 11. Then he could use them with INGBURN.

It sounds like you have something else wrong if your entire machine is freezing. Maybe you could gain access to them by booting into safe mode? (Google will tell you how to do that if you don't know)

I certainly wouldn't be writing them off just yet, but it depends on how much time you're willing to spend getting to the root of the problem.

The commands used to format discs are detailed in the MMC specs. ImgBurn will only be using the same one (or slight variation so it formats fully/properly) that the other programs will be using. ImgBurn submits the command to the drive and the drive then goes off and does all the work. ImgBurn just sits there waiting for it to finish. It's only back in control when it starts to 'zero' the sectors on the BD-RE disc (basically just writing a bunch of zeros to them all).

If you want ImgBurn to behave more like other programs and just do a quick and dirty format, disable the 'Prefer Format With Full Certification' and 'Prefer Properly Formatted Discs' options on the 'Write' tab in the 'Settings'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.