Initial 2 seconds on disc in cue sheet

pincorrect

I created a single wav file that is exactly 80:00:00 long with Audacity, then tried to create a cue sheet with imgburn. I noticed before I added my file, the cue sheet dialog showed that the disc was 2 seconds long. Then I added my wav file, and it showed one session with the wav file that was 80:00:00, but the overall disc length was 80:02:00, and it warned me that this exceeds the length of an 80 minute cd. Under track options, the pre-track gap is 0.

Where is this extra 2 seconds coming from? Do I need to edit my wav file so it is only 79:58:00?

The first track in a session always has a 2 second pregap on a CD.

I'm thinking that warning may actually be wrong... as the pregap starts from a negative LBA (-150 and time 00:00:00) on the CD disc.

That said, my 80 minute CD-RW isn't quite 80 minutes long.

Free Sectors: 359,847

Free Space: 736,966,656 bytes

Free Time: 79:59:72 (MM:SS:FF)

So you should be able to burn a wave file that's 79:59:72 long - ignoring any warning that it might not fit on the disc.

Thanks. With my Verbatim 80 minute CD-R, it shows me 359,844 seconds free, or 79:59:69. When I created an audio file exactly that long, Imgburn said it was too long and offered me the choice of truncating it, or overburning. Maybe, as you suggested, the error message is erroneous because it might not take into account that the pregap starts at frame -150 (-2 seconds).

Anyway, I made an audio file of length 79:57:69, and it recorded without complaints.

This is a little academic because my audio file is the most boring one possible, unless you are an avant garde composer. It's all silence. I'm using it in conjunction with a board that taps into the cd player signal line in an older car stereo to provide an aux in jack for mp3 players. Just for fun, though, I might try burning the 79:59:69 wav file (that does not shave off 2 seconds for the initial gap) to see if it will actually record it.

Just an update, for anyone interested. I burned my 79:59:69 track to a new cd-r. When I started, it warned me it was too long and asked if I wanted to try to overburn, or truncate. I chose overburn. Then it burned the track to sectors with addresses 0 to 359,843, that is, it used all 359,844 sectors, without any problem.

It would be very unlikely that anyone burning actual songs to a cd would use every single sector on the cd, but it looks like if you really want to, you can. I wonder if all CD-R's give you this exact number of sectors, or if it varies by brand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.