ImgBurn reading blank disc to 4,700 KB image file?

dbminter

I inserted a blank DVD+RW I had just Quick Erased.  I started to accidentally read it to an image file and noticed ImgBurn was reading the entire 4,700 KB's to an image file.  However, the disc is empty.  Shouldn't ImgBurn say Disc is empty and not read it to an image file?  If I double click on the disc in Windows Explorer, it asks how do I want to burn it, like a flash drive or with a CD/DVD player.  So, it does seem as if this disc is empty.  And when I insert the disc in the drive, SOMETIMES :wink: Windows displays the Blank disc Autoplay.

I thought if a disc was blank, ImgBurn would say it's blank and not read it to an image file.  Am I wrong?  :unsure:

It probably depends on how thoroughly a program looks at the disc to find sectors containing data.

A quick erase doesn't make a DVD+RW look empty (at least not in the same way it would on a DVD-RW or CD-RW), it simply writes zeros to the first few hundred sectors - which wipes out the initial file system descriptors.

I can't read an 'empty' BD-RE in my drive (just tested), so something must have happened to make it think there 'might' be something on the disc worth reading.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.