Is "End of the World" Really So Bad?

rdc

I've burned perhaps seven or eight discs with DVD Flick and Imageburn. Three of them have generated an "End of the World" message. But I have gone ahead and burned the discs (Verbatims) anyway. They have turned out fine. I've played them, in a cheap Sony Blu-ray player and in an old JVC DVD player, and have seen nothing wrong. I assume this isn't normal.

For entertainment's sake, I reburnt the last disc and then followed the end-of-world guide using VobBlanker. Success. So all is right with the world and I'm happy.

But, despite my happiness, I have a question: What is the normal bad result of ignoring the end-of-world message and burning anyway? I assume it must be a failure of the disc to play in a DVD player. But that isn't my experience. I'm tempted simply to ignore end-of-world messages in the future and burn anyway, without bothering with VobBlanker.

Would this be dumb?

-- RDC

Edited by rdc

Some players may just get stuck when they reach the physical layer break position on the disc and there's nothing in the IFO warning about it (so they can deal with it properly).

If your players aren't fussy about these things (and you aren't worried about potential issues with any others), ignore the message.

Thanks.

I think in future I'll follow the end-of-the-world guide if I'm burning something I really care about, and just ignore the warning for everything else. Hopefully my next DVD player will be as tolerant as my current players.

-- RDC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.