What are these Prohibited User Operations?

dbminter

Need someone with some experience in editing IFO's, etc. or PUO's in general. I'd like to know what some of these strange acronyms mean. :lol: In particular, what buttons on the DVD remotes they equate to. Thanks!

TopPG or PrevPG Search - I've seen a couple of different versions of this in Google, depending on the editing software the hit found. So, sometimes, it's been called Top or Prev program search. Would this be Title/DVD Menu/Top Menu button?

NextPG Search - Next program search. I am guessing this disables the Next button?

GoUp - This SEEMS :) to be the Resume? Is it?

TopPG or PrevPG Search, if on, prohibits the prev button on the remote from doing anything. This is useful in Chapter Menu PGCs but little use elsewhere.

NextPG Search is the same for the Next button.

GoUp prohibts the GoUp PGC link from being executed.

The rule I have is no PUOps except in Menus. Make them 192 (which probits TopPG and NextPG). You only wanna go to the Next or Prev PG via a button.

I leave VOB Puops alone if the DVD has angles/ILVUs. If not, I get ridda them all.

PgcEdit does this very efficiently.

Regards

Not sure mate - what I do know is that they are bloody annoying on my original discs, when you just want to move off all the FBI warnings etc and get to the main menu.....
Typical helpful Scouser reply!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D=))

Regards

Not sure mate - what I do know is that they are bloody annoying on my original discs, when you just want to move off all the FBI warnings etc and get to the main menu.....

Well, the easiest way to do that is just replace them with a 1 second blank VOB. =)) It accomplishes the same thing but doesn't force too many messy changes. Just change it to call 1 second blank VOB.

GoUp prohibts the GoUp PGC link from being executed.

Uh... I kind of gathered that. :lol: What is GoUp, though? From what I read, it acts as a Resume.

The rule I have is no PUOps except in Menus.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't use diable PUO's globally if a program offers them. I've discovered some nasty things tend to happen regarding menu streams if their VOB's follow, say, the VOB's of a main feature. WB's episodic DVD's are like that. The WB logo that plays at the start of a disc is often times shoved between the main feature VOB's and the menu VOB's. So, if the PUO's are removed, pressing Next in the last chapter of the last episode will load the WB logo. And, because it wasn't expected to be called at that point, all kinds of registers, etc. aren't properly set, and the menus go berserk.

I tend to leave the PUO's alone and selectively remove the ones I need.

The GoUp (Return) link is simply a link to a particular PGC (0 if none). In the menus domain, you also have the option to set this as a "resume", but this is totally unnecessary as the root menu button always operates as a "resume". So if you are in PGC 1 and GoUp is defined as 2 AND the GoUp Puop is not set, pressing Return on your remote will take you to PGC 2 (assuming there is one).

As for your theory about menus being interspersed with titles, this is not possible, except where there are buttons over video (buttons in the titles domain). Menus inhabit the 0.VOBs. Titles inhabit the 1-9.VOBs.

Logos can be in the menu or title itself or both. They are, after all, just bits of multiplexed video, just like any other. Or the title can play a cell and non-seamlessly branch to another title (or menu) and play a logo and non-seamlessly return.

In fact, you can get the DVD to do whatever you like if you author it well enough. Even play the cells "backwards", which would have been very useful on Memento (I think that was the DVD where the storyline was kinda played back to front).

As for me, I don't like PuOps. I don't like that the companies can tell me what I can and can't press on my remote.

As for "unintended consequences", once the flick has started, I tend not to use the remote too much :)

Regards

I'm glad you know what you're doing, anyway. :lol: I don't think I'll ever be able to straighten out this mess of a standard. :D I've been hacking away at it, bits and pieces for 4 years now. And, I'm only just like within the last year creating my own from scratch and trying to best control how the DVD behaves. i.e. I want it to do it "my" way. :wink: Maybe, at least, I can pick your... brain... yeah, brain... :shifty: on down the line.

Careful - db's zombie tendencies may mean he not only picks but also eats your brain blu.....

Guess db will come away hungry from that meeting..................... Bwahahaha :lol::lol::lol:

Well, I must have some brains... I don't use MSN! =))

Anyway, I'd probably just use PM to ask you and then maybe get an e-mail address from there if I did ask. And then from there, Spam you claiming that I met you on adultfriendfinder and wanted to chat with you some more, but, you needed to first check out my fake blog. Which is locked down with age verification because I am so naughty, which requires a credit card number, just to check your age and are thus over 18, of course... :greedy:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.