Netscape 8.1

dbminter

Now this just BOGGLES the mind...! :wacko:

I never noticed this in the update to Netscape, 8.1, that was released 10 months ago... and the reason why makes it obvious. Install or update to Netscape 8.1 or 81.2, the current update, and check out its About screen. There, it openly states: "Netscape 8.1x BASED ON FIREFOX!" :o

Now, Netscape had been based on Mozilla for, well, forever. BUT now it is openly copying Firefox instead of trying to make something of itself? It's even copying the Extensions, except there are currently no Extensions for it. Why? If it's based on Firefox, then, the Extensions NOT working for it are just typical fucker regressing.

I guess Netscape is now in its 2nd death throes. At least if it has to copy something, it's working off of something that had worked well at one point. But, why copy it at a point when Firefox seems to be getting worse? Also, why bother with Netscape as an alternate browser anymore? If it just copies Firefox and is sitting around waiting to implement things Firefox already has and can't work in Netscape, what's the point?

In all fairness, I did not test Firefox extensions with it. I know from my past testing that the .X whatever extension of the files automatically opened in Netscape when double clicked, because Netscape was last installed after Firefox had been. So, they may actually work. But, if they did, why didn't the Extensions page for Netscape just link to the Firefox one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.