What am I missing

surfeagle

I can’t seem to get a bootable cd to work right. Well it starts up but doesn't have any of the content that I added when opening Source and adding a dir with an .exe file in it, and a couple .jpg  files on the top level.

I have tried it with 3 different images. Dos6.22.img , Windows98_SE.img , and WindowsXP_Pro_SP2_Disk1.img from allaboutdisks.

I have done the output to Image files (which create 2 files .iso and .mds) and burn image says it completes ok. I also sent it to the Device with a CD in the drive and it gives me the happy music also.

But none of the added files are there when I boot off the CD. The 2 files and dir are gone when I use the CD to startup. If I look at the disk in Win 7 I see the files. But startup the cd and nothing but DOS files and none of the files I added.

What is going on?

The boot disc has to load CD drivers, then you'll be able to access whatever you've put on the CD (via the 'Soruce' box) via the drive letter the CD drivers give to your CD drive.

So the boot CD portion of the disc might take up drive letter A: or C:, then the CD drivers may give your CD drive the drive letter D:. You'd need to switch to D: to access 'normal' content.

I actually I thought of that after I posted. I'll look into adding the CD drivers. Also I realized that I was using a x64 computer to make the disks and the computer I was trying to run it on with "CD only btw without an HD hooked up" is a x86 computer. And I did think about CD drivers in the back of my head. yes the startup was A:

can anyone say multiple operating systems :) I'm thinking I need to make another partition with x86. Is that a possibility? But then I think the dl from allaboutdisks would have been x86. Of course DOS woudn't have CD drivers, and "not sure if I remember" Win98 might not of either. And it is/was a DVD. So, XP may or may not have recognized it either. and then theres the x64 factor.

Will try again, thank you for the thoughts.

Edited by surfeagle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.