Odd supported write speeds?

dbminter

Got this line in a recent log, writing to 6x Ritek DVD-RW, RITEKW06, in the NEC 4570:

I 23:53:21 Media Type: DVD-RW (Speeds: 1x, 2x, 3.1x, 4.2x, 5.2x, 6.3x)

Starting at 3.1x... well, I've never even seen 3x before at all. 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x. But 3? And, as for decimal values, I've seen .2 as normal on a lot of + media speeds. And, only within the last few years have I seen .1 attached to some of the common bases, like 4 and 6. But, LUK says that's normal, so, I believe him. :D But, what about some of these weird values? 5.2x? And particularly 6.3x? One drive only returned 6x and 2x as supported write strategies. The only 6x capable drive had 2x, 4x, and 6x. The 4x max drive returned only 4x and 2x, as expected.

So, should these strange values worry me in any way? :unsure:

You take what you can get. Well, in most cases. The only ultra speed CD-RW's around here are Memorex. Tried a pack of them since they were selling them in 3's, knowing full well they'd probably be problematic. Strangely, they were, since Memorex's CD-RW's in the past, I had no problem with INFODISC, and, though these were, they behaved as expected, given Memorex's past track record. Thus, I take the only 6x and 8x rewritable DVD media around.

Must have been that one disc as I have not gotten a repeat of that incident since, and, I don't know which disc that log was from.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.