Malware detected during installation

PythonesqueSpam

Hi,

Congrats on a great product that I've used for years and recommended to others on many occasion.

Recently I did a clean install on Windows 8.1 and upon reinstalling ImgBurn, my antivirus software detected unauthorised web access attempts originating from the ImgBurn installer.

After research I found that this security risk is PUA/PUP called OpenCandy that is a route through which adware and malware can be installed.

As the ImgBurn install contains third party software that opens my computer up to such risk, why should I trust or recommend ImgBurn in future?

If the reason for this is so that the support of ImgBurn can be funded, please be aware that I would be willing to pay to keep ImgBurn free from such crapware.

Is there a version of ImgBurn setup that your Customers can download which doesn't contain such a security threat?

Regards

Stuart

In the future, what you should do before running the ImgBurn installer is to turn off your cable modem if you don't want OpenCandy to get anything from the web.  The installer for ImgBurn will run after it tries to phone home to OpenCandy servers for offers.  You'll get a slight pause as the installer tries to connect to the server and an error from the installer after it completes because it couldn't access the servers.  Otherwise, only ImgBurn installs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.