How to playback my ISO file with the additional MDS file

pusherhank

Howdy,

I've decided to copy my library of DVD's I've built over the past 15 years to a portable hard drive so I can easily play them on a laptop or TV, back them up and share them easier...whatever.  I just do NOT trust my 80 DVD's on DVD's.  I want to cut out the entire Bluray player and DVD from the equation.

I am using IMGBurn and easily made ISO files for the first 40.  The files are sorted by year 1 - 40 and I have the menus.  Everything works great!  Even when I use a TV as a monitor.  I use VLC as a player...life is good.

Well, until I hit disk #41.  I now get an ISO file and a side kicker MDS file.  I really do not care, but the ISO file does not play.  I can go back and make MP4 files but I lose the front menus.  I WANT the front menus. 

Yes, this is a dual layer DVD issue that is causing the problem but I think I am burning them AOK.  Maybe it is a media player problem?  That is the answer I want.  Maybe dual layer simply cannot hold the menu screens?  Blah...hope not.

Any advice is appreciated.  I am officially stuck...and I have 40 DVD's to go...

Thanks,

PPH

I can't answer if VLC doesn't like dual layer ISO's.  Shouldn't matter, though.  The MDS/layer breaks only matter to physical discs.  Did you try loading both the ISO and the MDS in VLC?  If you still can't get it resolved, what you can do is install Virtual CloneDrive and mount the MDS/ISO file as a virtual drive.  Then, just play that virtual drive like a DVD in whatever media player you choose.

You could also just copy the VIDEO_TS folders from the ISO's to HDD and load VIDEO_TS.IFO in the player of your choice.

I'm rather surprised that out of 40 of 80 DVD's in your collection, only the 41st is your first dual layer DVD.  So, there's probably something else going on there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.