Norton Stops Install -- Workaround

Shatnes

I had issues with Norton deleting the download install file. I turned off Norton with 15 min option.

I selected the custom options throughout the installation and I was able to opt out of the extra software that was offered. There are several places where it says custom and/or Full option. I always selected either custom or Full install as it came up.

I guess you mean Norton AntiVirus.  It's flagging the OpenCandy installer in ImgBurn as malware and deleting the file.  A good AV app would let you choose to save if you want to take the risk, but, then again, Norton AV is not necessarily a good AV app.  :wink:

Yes, I meant Norton AV. If you do a search on the forum, many have had this issue, not only with Norton AV. As with any AV product, there are those that are satisfied and others that are not satisfied.

I wanted to share how I resolved the problem and also how not install the toolbar, opencandy and whatever optional software was bundled with this product.

Yeah, many AV apps don't allow you to manually select to override their options.  Many AV apps make the mistake of choosing for the user rather than giving them the option to choose for themselves.

Probably the easiest way to get around OpenCandy doing anything is to disable your Internet connection before running the ImgBurn installer.  Or any installer that has OpenCandy wrapped around it, like the Freemake applications.  Although that means you were able to get the ImgBurn installer first, which for NAV and other AV apps means disabling the AV app.  Which is always a bad idea, even temporarily, just to get around some poor software choices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.