Using a USB drive to verify ISO files

Phenozd

My computer isn't detecting that a USB stick is plugged in. I want to put an ISO file on a USB and then use the verify function. Do I need to reformat the USB so that the IMGburn software finds it?

Edited by Phenozd

Well, if Windows isn't detecting the USB stick is inserted, then you can't format it at all.  If it's not there, you can't initiate any drive functions on it.

My experience with USB drives not being detected is first to try shutting down the PC and restarting Windows after a few seconds of powering off.  That would be the first thing I'd try.  Leave the USB stick plugged in when you restart Windows so Windows can detect it on start.

Well, if Windows isn't detecting the USB stick is inserted, then you can't format it at all.  If it's not there, you can't initiate any drive functions on it.

My experience with USB drives not being detected is first to try shutting down the PC and restarting Windows after a few seconds of powering off.  That would be the first thing I'd try.  Leave the USB stick plugged in when you restart Windows so Windows can detect it on start.

Windows detects it, IMGburn doesn't detect it

So, you're trying to image a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/virtual drive contents with ImgBurn and have it write the image file to a USB flash drive?  Then you're trying to use Verify to open the file from the USB stick?

Also, you may need to format the stick anyway.  If you're trying to put an image file on it, it needs to be formatted for NTFS for a full image file, depending on if it's greater than 4 GB.  Or set ImgBurn to file split the image file when it creates it so it will fit on the stick's file system.  Or maybe ImgBurn changes this setting automatically when it writes the image file based on the file system.  I forget.

I inserted a flash drive just now to see if they're supported.  ImgBurn found my flash drive for writing and loading image files.  If ImgBurn isn't recognizing flash drives for you, it's beyond me.

So, you're trying to image a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/virtual drive contents with ImgBurn and have it write the image file to a USB flash drive?  Then you're trying to use Verify to open the file from the USB stick?

Also, you may need to format the stick anyway.  If you're trying to put an image file on it, it needs to be formatted for NTFS for a full image file, depending on if it's greater than 4 GB.  Or set ImgBurn to file split the image file when it creates it so it will fit on the stick's file system.  Or maybe ImgBurn changes this setting automatically when it writes the image file based on the file system.  I forget.

I inserted a flash drive just now to see if they're supported.  ImgBurn found my flash drive for writing and loading image files.  If ImgBurn isn't recognizing flash drives for you, it's beyond me.

I can't get it to come up as source but I can load the ISO from the USB to verify against. I just want it to show up as source.

So to explain it further. I want to verify that an ISO on the USB stick is the same as an ISO in another location. But the USB doesn't show up in the source destination so I can't use it in the software

Now, when you say Source, under what Mode?  Write, Read, or Verify? 

It sounds like you can get the source to be found under Verify. 

Under Read, a USB stick won't show up because Read only reads CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/virtual drives.

Under Write, it should detect a USB as a source for reading an ISO for burning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.