HL-DT-ST BD-RE BT10F problem

parmo

I was wondering if someone could help me. I tried to burn a DL Blu ray using imgburn but it failed. (see attached log).  After looking around online I found that the only real option is to update the drives firmware.  I've never done this before but I'm struggling to find what firmware I need for my drive;

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BT10F

imgburn says i'm currently using firmware DT03-00

I tried searching firmware HQ but it brings up 256 results, so I don't know what I should do.  Can anyone help?

ImgBurn.log

The problem with finding USB burner firmer is you'll probably NEVER find it.  I've NEVER found a single firmware update for ANY external USB burner I've ever had.  The problem is in most cases an external drive is just an internal drive inside an enclosure.  However, the disc ID string is modified to represent a different drive.

Since you're using a USB drive, I have to ask if it's a slim drive or a full size drive?  If it's a slim drive, that's most likely your problem.  Slim drives are junk.  Try a full size drive.

Did you try using ImgBurn's check for firmware?  In Read or Write mode, right click on the drive in the drop down list and choose the last option, Check for firmware updates.  This is probably the best option you'll have for limiting the results.  Unless, of course, this is what you already did and that brought up the web page with the results.  I don't know if you did the search manually from the ImgBurn log's return of your firmware revision string or not.

You're also using RITEK media.  While RITEK BD-R and BD-RE has never been a problem for me except for playing back on the PS3, with double layer DVD, Verbatim was the only quality choice that worked.  Everything else was crap, except for the TDK ones I tried, which were still readable after a few years.  The Ritek's I tried, more than half were unreadable after a year.  I can't say if it's the same for double layer BD or not, but you might want to try Verbatim and see if that helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It is a slim-drive. I did do the search for firmware via imgburn and that what brought up 256 results. I've always been able to burn single layer fine with the drive, so it is really annoying that I can't burn a dual layer blu.  This may sound dumb but Is there any firmware that i can try, like a universal one that is compatible with most drives or something?  I don't really want to go to the expensive of buying another drive or different blanks when it's not something i'll be doing that often

If your drive / firmware is BT10F DT03, I'd start by Googling BT10F DT04.

I've already done that on your behalf and I can tell you that I didn't find anything useful I'm afraid.

There's no such thing as generic firmware, they're model (and their clones) specific.

Yeah i did try googling for the firmware and couldn't find anything either before I decided to post in here.  So is there basically nothing i can do with the drive to get it to work?

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I'd lay the problem down to it being a slim drive.  Slim drives are generally junk.  We see so many problems here from slim drives and don't recommend them to people looking to buy drives.

Your best bet is probably to replace the drive with a full height one and go from there.  You could even buy an internal SATA drive and put it in a USB external enclosure.

It's a shame because it works great with single layer discs.  What is my cheapest and best opition to buy to replace the drive? I only have a laptop so that's why i initally went with the slim USB drive.  

​Maybe someone should come up with a software that can completely wipe the firmware from a drive and let you put on a completely new one lol

As for cheapest, I can't say.  That varies from country to country and store to store.  I would recommend an ASUS for an external Blu-Ray burner.  Mine is currently an ASUS and the only thing it failed on was Ritek 6x DVD-RW, which everything but LiteOns and Optiarcs fail on.

While having an external full height drive is not the most ergonomical choice for a laptop, you're better off with one versus a slim drive.

My USB ASUS was described on Amazon.com as the

BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS

So, I really couldn't tell you what to look for, as I doubt that entire string is the actual name of my drive.  BW-12D1S-U is most likely the drive string.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.