Unexpected "book type" when verifiying

bluto32

I burned an AVCHD to a DVD+R DL disc for the first time today, using the default settings in ImgBurn (2.5.8.0) except for manually choosing a write speed of 4x.

All seems fine - the disc plays well in my blu-ray player, but I have a query regarding the book-type; I'd like to understand how this works.

The default settings in ImgBurn have this option selected: "Auto 'Change Book Type' ". Sure enough, the log file (attached to this post) lists the book type as having been changed to DVD-ROM, which I understand often more compatible with players than the actual book type of DVD+R DL.

However, when verifying the disc, the book type is now listed as DVD+R DL. I am confused here - please could someone clarify?

Many thanks for producing this superb software.

Bluto

P.S. Something else I noticed... The log says "Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)" at the start, but I have never had Windows 8. I am running Windows 10 Pro.

ImgBurn.log

The program predates Windows 10 and you have to do something special to make the OS report itself as what it really is.

Samsung drives don't have a way of querying if it's actually going to change the booktype to anything else. The program has asked it to booktype to DVD-ROM and it has accepted the command, that's why the log entry exists during the write phase.

For whatever reason, the drive hasn't done what was asked if it and the booktype remains as DVD+R DL.

I shouldn't worry too much. If you're burning avchd, your player will be new enough to not care about the booktype. Some won't even play if the booktype *has* been changed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.