Multiple burners gets 0% buffer

nu1mlock

Hello!

NOTE: I'm NOT trying to make two backups of an original nor a backup of a backup. I'm just trying to burn two files at the same time with my two burners.

I just bought myself a new burner to be able to burn multiple backups at the same time.

So I opened up two instances of ImgBurn and choose the right burner for the right instance. I also choose two different files from two different harddrives and started the burnprocess.

Both buffers went from 0% to 100% on drive1 while drive2 went from 100% to 0% and vice versa every two seconds. Max burningspeed got up to 1.5x on each drive (so 3.0x total) while both burners support 16x and the both discs support 8x (which I choose).

Both burners are on the same IDE-cable, but that shouldn't be a problem, since a friend of mine has the same setup (though different burners) and it works fine for him.

So this is my setup:

Burner1 burns file1 from hdd1. Burner2 burns file2 from hdd2. Both burners are on the same IDE-cable. The hdds are on different sata-ports. Burner1 (master) is a Pioneer 111D (flashed to 111L with the latest Dangerous Brothers fw). Burner2 is a Samsung SH-S182D.

I also only have ONE IDE-port on my mobo, so another cable is not an option. Both burners are set to Ultra DMA. Pioneer is Master and Samsung is Slave.

My computer specs is this: AMD 4600+ X2, 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300, 2x250GB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs. The rest isn't of relevance.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nu1mlock

not designed to burn multiple backups, sharing same ide cable is also never ideal and would explain the slowness.

If you were ever going to attempt this kind of burning, would be better to have each DVD writer on 80 wire separate IDE channel, with source ISO being stored on 2 different SATA drives. (in your case you would have to throw into the mix a SATA dvd writer as well)

Hassle in other words.

For the time it takes use the queueing feature.

Edited by dontasciime

not designed to burn multiple backups, sharing same ide cable is also never ideal and would explain the slowness.

If you were ever going to attempt this kind of burning, would be better to have each DVD writer on 80 wire separate IDE channel, with source ISO being stored on 2 different SATA drives. (in your case you would have to throw into the mix a SATA dvd writer as well)

Hassle in other words.

For the time it takes use the queueing feature.

Thanks for the answer! It might not be such a bad idea for me to "invest" in a sata-burner, since they only cost about $35. I already have two seperate sata-harddrives, so that wont be a problem.

I tried using Nero and burning two sets of iso files and it worked great. So I thought I'd try it with ImgBurn again. It worked - kinda. I burned two sets of isos at 2.4x. Burner1 got 100% buffer the whole time, while Burner2 got 90% down to 10% and then up to 90% again (over and over again). It still worked.

I only wanted to burn two sets of isos if I had to burn at 2.4x (Xbox 360 backups), but I'll try to add some speed to my Verbatim discs next time instead. If I get it right at 8x, I wont bother with two writers.

Thanks again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.