Book Type Settings...Greyed out

ranger3484

When I look at my drive capabilities within ImgBurn it says it's capable of burning several types of media. Many of the boxes are checked, some unchecked but DVD-ROM is unchecked and greyed out. What's the difference between it being greyed out and/or unchecked?

On the same note when I attempt to change the book type I get "Unknown (FAILED!) next to the Current Setting. As a result I can not select DVD-ROM. My burner is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA-4164B and I'm looking at the LG tab within ImgBurn. I've tried all the tabs but after selecting DVD+R DL in the Change For, I constanly get the "Unknown (FAILED!) message.

I'm currently using E113 Firmware for the drive but have thought about trying other drivers. Do you think this would help things out or make them worse?

DVD-ROMs can't be written to, which is why it is unchecked and greyed out. They will be checked if your drive can read them. Don't know if this is correct, haven't used that dialog for a while.

That makes sense. Since my OEM drive doesn't allow book type changes anybody think changing drivers would work? Can I make my OEM LG burner think it's a real GSA LG burner???

@ranger - this is simply signifying that your drive can not do bitsetting (which is strange since I have the 4163B, which can do it)

Regards

Thanks for the reply. I think this issue is your 4163B probably is made by LG where my 4164B is made by LG but distributed by Dell. Previous posts suggest that Dell saves $$ by not purchasing the full up licensing aggrements that come with brand name drives. As a result my the "LG" tab under book type settings didn't allow me to change book type. I got a new drive and it's working great.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.