Drive: LG BH14NS40 issues

EnduringGuerila

I've been using this drive for many years and haven't really had any issues with it until now. Historically, I've only ripped and burned music albums, and I always get perfect lossless rips.

I am trying to burn CD-Rs and I am getting incompatibility issues with the disks I make. (Some people online are saying burn at the lowest speed possible, some are saying burn at the highest speed possible...)
I noticed the drive is only burning at 14x no matter what speed I set it to. I confirmed with the official LG documentation (attached) that it is capable of a wide variety of speeds!

image.png.febc2d3e5b158e671b95f05f922fa516.png

I tried to overwrite the speed just to test it and no matter what I set in here, it still says "Supported Write Speeds: 16x"

and then writes at 14x anyway...

image.png.c38e340dc9c935760a29d3a228154f91.png

I tried looking up these old Sony 97m24s11f CD-Rs and I think they are capable of 48x... but I don't know for sure.

Log attached just in case

I also just checked LGs website and I have the latest firmware already:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers?customerModelCode=BH14NS40&csSalesCode=BH14NS40.AVAR10B&category=CT30000780&subcategory=

image.png.27c5d9ae1c3c37a58258c5ca4cfe5d9b.png

BH14NS40.pdf

ImgBurn.log

Edited by EnduringGuerila
code block didn't shrink so I deleted the log and uploaded the log file separately

The bottom line is a drive will write at whatever speed it wants to write at.  It may honor user requests for faster or slower speeds, but it will always make its own final decision.

Have you always used these Sony discs?  Sony doesn't make the best media out there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.