Jump to content

Cant burn to Dual layer 50gb blu ray.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have tried three different drives and none of them worked. Got it to write on two of them, but it stopped at 11 and 23%. Just going to burn it to two 25gb drives, so no rush.

ImgBurn.log

Posted

You might want to check out this post I just recently made:

 

Scroll down to the end, where I made my most recent post.

 

BD-R DL are generally unreliable in ImgBurn, it seems.  However, Windows own burning engine, ISOBurn, seems to work fine.  So, I will be using it going forward to write BD-R DL discs.  I won't be using ISOBurn's Verify option, as I said in that last post I made, and instead use ImgBurn's manual Verify option with the option to check against the ISO file I burned with ISOBurn.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Hi Gents,

I've been a fan of Img.brn for my infrequent little projects, so naturally I turned to it when I had a project that required me to burn a BD-R DL, as it worked well on single layer projects. I steered away from cheap blanks and bought what i thought was a decent brand  => Verbatim. They worked great on my single layer projects. Never made a coaster, so I didn't want to start here.  

Well you guessed it. Even though I set my Burner, a lightly used LG HL-DT-ST BE-RE BH10LS30, to burn at half speed (4X) it made a coaster. It never made a coaster before so I'm trying to figure out if it's Img.brn or the Burner. (My PC is very capable with sufficient CPU, and RAM.)

I know that burning Disks is not very popular these days, and some expect it to disappear soon. Last year I decided to hedge my bets and bought an Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray Burner. I wanted to see if I could get it to play some of my 4K titles, and to some degree it works. I put it into one of my sons retired gamer PCs that I was re-configuring for my wife. (So far she's happy with her "old" Box, so it's still surplus.) I did test it on a single layer BD (using other software) and it worked fine.

So I guess I have two questions. I know Img.brn hasn't been updated since 2013 (OMG!), and it's been great for me since I found it, but is it suitable to burn BD-R DL, and if not what software should I be using. Alternately, should I install the Asus BW-16D1HT in my Main Box and give Img.brn another go. 

 

As you can tell, I'm not keen on making a stack of coasters.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim          

Posted

ImgBurn can burn BD-R DL with a few caveats.

 

First, burn at 2x.

 

Second, use either Verbatim DataLife Plus inkjet BD-R DL or the Ritek BD-R DL.

 

As for an alternative to ImgBurn, there is one with a few notes on it.  Check out this thread for more details:

 

For instance, ISO Burn won't burn ISO image sizes of at least over 49 GB.  But, if ISO Burn will accept the ISO's file size, it will burn them.

Posted

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My project is to make a Blu-ray Audio disk with the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. Not an ISO. I'd also like to include an Artwork Folder as well as long as it won't mess things up. My 4K Blu-ray player plays the files just fine on a USB Stick, but I want to put it on Disk. 

I've come across BurnAware Professional  / Premium 19 and wonder if my chances of success would improve with it for this project? 

Posted

Well, you can write a Blu-Ray disc on the fly in ImgBurn, but you're better off Creating a file first, which is an ISO.  ;)  Then, Writing that ISO to disc.  And if you're going to use ISO Burn, you MUST have an ISO file.

 

The advantage of ISO Burn is you can write at the maximum write speed in a BD drive with less chance of it failing or creating a bad disc.  The disadvantage is ISO Burn will not burn ISO's that are, at least, over 49 GB in size.  So, if your ISO is a nearly full BD-R DL contents, you must use ImgBurn.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try to make this an ISO image to improve my chances of success. Once created, I'll mount it and see if my PowerDVD will play the ISO. Then I can try another attempt to Burn it using Img.Brn. (Or maybe use the ISO Burn in BurnAware?)   

Posted

You will probably have to mount the ISO as a virtual drive to get PowerDVD to play it.  I've tried getting PowerDVD to load INDEX.BDMV files directly from a hard disk folder, but though it apparently SHOULD work, it doesn't.

 

I've never used BurnAware; the ISO Burn I mentioned is a built in utility in Windows 10 and 11.

Posted

I made the ISO using Burnaware but even when I mounted it PowerDVD would not play it. Even though it plays numerous ISOs of other "movies" but they are all single Layer Blu-rays or DVDs. 

 

So I've deleted that image. I'm wondering if I should try again to make a  Blu-Ray disc on the fly with ImgBurn (which worked on Single Layer Disks in the past) but reduce the burn speed to 2X as you suggested earlier.  

Posted

I would recommend you use ImgBurn to create the ISO instead of BurnAware.  You can then mount ImgBurn's ISO and see if that works as a virtual drive..

 

These BDMV folder contents you made of a Blu-Ray Audio (I've never made one of those before.) what software made them?

 

You might want to look into something called Leawo Blu-Ray Player; it's freeware.  It lets you play a BDMV folder directly from a hard drive/SSD after it's created by loading its INDEX.BDMV file.  This way, you can test the BDMV contents first to make sure they were authored correctly before creating the ISO.

Posted

I'm using ImgBurn to create the ISO now as you suggested. My nephew downloaded the files, so I don't know the source info.

 

I'll take a look at Leawo Blu-Ray Player. Thanks.

Posted

I just did a test because I wasn't sure if it worked myself, actually.  I created a single layer BD Video ISO in ImgBurn, mounted it as a virtual drive in CloneDrive, and attempted to test playing it back in PowerDVD 18, and that does work.

 

However, as I said, I've never made a BD Audio disc before so I don't know how they behave.

Posted

Thanks for the effort. I've made quite a few single layer Blu-ray Audio disks recently using ImgBrn and they act just the same as their Movie Cousins. Some of them have a static menu screen where you can select various audio streams and tunes. Others are a bit more dynamic and cycle through artwork when the tunes are playing -which probably helps prevent screen burn in.

The ImgBurn created ISO worked when I mounted it using PowerISO virtual drive, and played it with PowerDVD. (I uninstalled  BurnAware after it's failure and put PowerISO on.)

I contemplated trying to Burn the image with the newly installed PowerISO as it said it could burn as maximum speed, but thought I'd give ImgBurn a try at your recommended 2X speed. Right now the Buffer is at 100% and the Device Buffer is 94% - 11% Complete. It's still going to take over an Hour, so I'll go do some chores and check in on it later.

 

Wish me Luck!

Posted

Expect about 2 hours to burn and Verify a full BD-R DL at 2x in ImgBurn.  About 90 minutes for the burn and about 30 minutes for the Verify.

Posted

It worked - at least so far in my Main Box (computer)!

It took about 90 minutes for the burn, but I stopped doing verify a long time ago. My logic is, if the disk plays as intended, then it's good (verified!). If it fails, then you made a coaster.

On a Failed Burn, does verification give you the reason why if failed and what to do to correct it?

 

I want to thank you for you help and guidance on this Disk dminter . I wish img.brn was far more popular and supported. It was great software for my needs. 

Posted

There will be an error code generally, but it usually doesn't help.  :)  Most errors on Verify are simply because the data cannot be read because it wasn't burned correctly.  And there's nothing you can do to correct it if it's the fault of the disc and not the drive doing the reading during Verify.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.