DVDShrink + ImgBurn - Burning DL (video + data), layer break question

roylayer

I've been using DVDShrink to back up my DVDs to DVD5s for a long time. Now, I want to create DL DVDs that have the VIDEO_TS files from DVDShrink + other data files. What I would like to do is to tell DVDShrink to create the VIDEO_TS files at a total size to fit on one layer so that I do not have to worry about layer breaks. Then, other data files would fit on the 2nd layer. (All of my standalone DVD players play discs like this with no problem.)

So, my question (at long last) is: What size should I specify in DVDShrink so that all of its output files will fit on one layer when burning a DL disc with IMGBurn?

Any help is appreciated!

most people visiting here are trying to make dual layer disc backups so they don't lose any quality due to compression using the likes of shrink.

im almost sure that 2 single layer discs are still cheaper than one dual layer disc , no matter where you are located.

apart from that , i dont even know if what you are proposing will work , i have personally never tried it and with the price of dual layer over here im not willing to risk it either :) sorry!

maybe someone else can throw some light on it for you

Yes, I realize that this is an unusual request. Yes, I realize that 2 single layer discs are cheaper than 1 dual layer. At this point, I am happy with the extra cost vs. the savings in storage space. I have burned discs like this many times with video content that will obviously fit on one layer (2 GB for example), and they work fine.

Thanks for commenting on my strange request. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Even once you've configured ImgBurn to force the 'video' files to the start of the new image, you'll still run into layer break problems unless you add an identical amount of 'data' files. This is because the program will attempt to burn equal amounts of data on each layer (a dvd is most 'compatible' when it's written that way).

It's actually kinda funny that storage space means more to you than the difference in cost between single layer and double layer media! (in the UK that's about ?1.50 per disc!). Just buy a DJ case that holds 1000 discs or something - if you burn more than that, you may like to re-evaluate things anyway!

Thanks for the info on balancing. As fate would have it, I _will_ have the same amount of data on the other layer (assuming that I can completely fill one layer with video) since I use BurnToTheBrim to completely fill up a DVD. So, any idea what the magic number should be?

I agree that my request is funny. I already have many binders of discs (CD and DVDs) and am getting ready to convert my old homemade video tapes to disc. I figure that double layer costs a little more than twice as much per byte as single layer (for the media I use). I felt like I had to take extreme measures to keep my storage under control! ;-) "I may wish to re-evaluate things?" LOL. You are probably right, but it is a sickness. ;-)

To be honest, DVDShrink/backups are only a small fraction of the video DVDs that I burn. Since the disc is only a backup, I hope that I don't have to use it anyway, and DVDShrink's quality (to DVD5) is very good in case that I do. I figured that it might be worth shrinking it just a little more to fit onto one layer rather than shrink to 4.37GB and have a layer break for sure on DL.

Even once you've configured ImgBurn to force the 'video' files to the start of the new image, you'll still run into layer break problems unless you add an identical amount of 'data' files. This is because the program will attempt to burn equal amounts of data on each layer (a dvd is most 'compatible' when it's written that way).

It's actually kinda funny that storage space means more to you than the difference in cost between single layer and double layer media! (in the UK that's about ?1.50 per disc!). Just buy a DJ case that holds 1000 discs or something - if you burn more than that, you may like to re-evaluate things anyway!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.