Understanding Layer Break Options

Trainmaster

Help!

First I want to say that I like ImgBurn after trying it to make several single layer ISO burns. So much that I want to better understand the setting of the Layer Break Position when making a DL-DVD. Where I can find a write-up explaining the pros and cons for or interpreting the Padding, % Split, File/VTS, PGC, Cell, V/C ID and SPLIP data presented.

Why do I ask this? When ImgBurn list nine different break positions along with all of the information associated with each break point, and all nine listed layer break positions are reported as 'average' recommendations, how do I choose the best "average" layer break.

What are the pros & cons to the usage of large verses small amounts of Padding?

And what about the rest of the columns (% Split, File/VTS, PGC, Cell, V/C ID and SPLIP), how do I best use this data when making my final selection from among the many "average" layer breaks?

Searching for Insight - Thanks in Advance,

Trainmaster

If they're all average, it really just comes down to what looks best.

The next version of ImgBurn has a preview facility to you can actually view the cell you select (and the one before it - i.e. which would be the last one on the 1st layer).

It's also best to burn a disc with a 50/50 split of data between its layers as this is said to be the most compatible with players.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.