burning or erasing hangs

bobarentt

I burned an iso yesterday and everything went fine. Quick and easy. I then proceeded to burn a second one but since it was the end of the day, I set it in motion and went home. When I came to work this morning, there it was hanging at 'Erasing 15%'. This was a full erase. It wouldn't let me just stop the process so I had to use Windows Task Manager to get it to close down. So I started over and had it just burn without erasing and it went into a seeming endless reporting of "The semaphore timeout period has expired." I stopped the program again and tried to do another full erase with the same results. I then re-made the iso and started over... same results. I used a different new disk... same results. The iso was made (both times) with SVCD2DVD and I have used it and ImgBurn for a long time with very good results on my Iomega SuperDVD burner with Verbatim DVD+RW discs. Any idea as to what might be happening here?

Edited by bobarentt

The semaphore timeout error is common with USB drives - is yours connected via USB? (Maybe Firewire?)

If you're getting it on an IDE drive then something has messed up.

It could be your drivers, the cable, the drive itself... who knows.

As with most issues, check for firmware updates and try different discs. I've never found DVD+RW to be all that reliable to be honest, although RICOH +RW's were better than the Verbatims.

Be sure to give some normal -R / +R discs a go.

We recommend Verbatim (MCC dye) or Taiyo Yuden.

:blush: Well, I certainly am embarassed... not to mention the waste of my precious time. As it turns out my USB cable was partially dislodged from its proper place. Thanks. All worked fine after I got that right :D Edited by bobarentt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.