Any guide for burning data?

sunjan

Hi all,

I was looking through the guides, and they seem focused only on burning and creating a DVD for video purpose.

What about burning plain data for backup? Is there any guide, or what should I have in mind and watch out for?

Thanks,

Jan

Welcome to ImgBurn Forum.

Just select the files/folders and go as you normally would. DVD Video requires special settings in the Options field.

For data files, in build mode, you might want to tick Preserve Full Pathname and the Recurse Options. If you only wanna backup files that have changed since a major backup, tick Include Archive Files Only (those with the Archive bit set). Keep the filesystem at ISO9660 and UDF

Regards

• 2 months later...

Just select the files/folders and go as you normally would. DVD Video requires special settings in the Options field.

For data files, in build mode, you might want to tick Preserve Full Pathname and the Recurse Options. If you only wanna backup files that have changed since a major backup, tick Include Archive Files Only (those with the Archive bit set). Keep the filesystem at ISO9660 and UDF

Regards

Regards

I was using the crap Roxio MYDVD Combo until recently to backup image and data files to a 4.7GB DVD-RW. The files totalled about 700MB. After backup, the disk usage piechart in "My Computer" ("Their Computer"?) showed about 3.5 GB free space.

I followed the procedure you kindly gave above to burn backups with IMGBurn. After burning, the disk usage piechart in "My Computer" gives the burnt DVD-RW a capacity of 700Mb and shows it is full. Any suggestions, please?

Many thanks.

Thumper

I was using the crap Roxio MYDVD Combo until recently to backup image and data files to a 4.7GB DVD-RW. The files totalled about 700MB. After backup, the disk usage piechart in "My Computer" ("Their Computer"?) showed about 3.5 GB free space.

I followed the procedure you kindly gave above to burn backups with IMGBurn. After burning, the disk usage piechart in "My Computer" gives the burnt DVD-RW a capacity of 700Mb and shows it is full. Any suggestions, please?

That happens because ImgBurn doesn't support either multi-session or packet writing, thus it burns the whole lot of data and then finalizes the DVD, a method known as Disc-At-Once (DAO). The one you were using probably uses packet writing, so that's why it was shown with free space.

Notice that ImgBurn's method produces DVDs that are readable on computers, DVD players, consoles and any devices that reads and "understands" DVDs, while packet writing can be read mostly on computers (may need additional software to work), very few standalone players and consoles, if any. Choosing one method or another depends on what use you'll make of it.

That happens because ImgBurn doesn't support either multi-session or packet writing, thus it burns the whole lot of data and then finalizes the DVD, a method known as Disc-At-Once (DAO). The one you were using probably uses packet writing, so that's why it was shown with free space.

Notice that ImgBurn's method produces DVDs that are readable on computers, DVD players, consoles and any devices that reads and "understands" DVDs, while packet writing can be read mostly on computers (may need additional software to work), very few standalone players and consoles, if any. Choosing one method or another depends on what use you'll make of it.

Excellent reply, mmalves.

Many thanks.

thumper

• 1 year later...

My search of the forums gave my this thread - which I think come close to answering my question.

history:

I did a backup onto DVD of my Dell 3000 system before reloading.

Now, I discover that I can not open those DVDs - apparently I needn Sonic MyDVD LE which was lost and is not on any of my recovery CDs. Dell forums suggest that I'm pretty much out of luck because I'm out of warranty.

So, based on mmalves's post, I am not going to be able to open those backup DVDs with out something like MyDVD LE (which I don't want to spend the money on - something like $70; quite pricey)?

Would one way maybe to solve this is to download a free trial of MyDVD and close all those backup DVDs? Then they sould be readable without requiring a Sonic product?

Then moving forward I can just use imgburn - which finalizes the DVD making it readable in most DVD players?

thanks in advance

Will (accidntlTourist)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.