Read Mode - multissesion discs

Maimon

I try to read a multissesion, not finalized CD-R burn with Nero, to copy it. The following message appears: "Disc Not Supported (Multi-session)".

But if I try to read a DVD+R, ISO+UDF, multissesion, not finalized disc burn with Nero, no error message appears. I can read the disc.

My questions are:

If the read is a "sector-by-sector" operation, I would expect to be able to read any multissesion disc. Why I can read a multissesion DVD+R, but not a multissesion CD-R?

Your idea of sector by sector and my idea of it must be different.

You can't just write the sectors and expect the drive to insert new sessions / tracks etc in the right places - it won't. The same goes for reading.

Sessions and tracks are defined by additional commands - ImgBurn doesn't currently support them.

If the CD only had 1 session / track but was still 'open', the 2nd (non existant) track/session must have been identified in such a way that imgburn thought it was not empty and hence it really was a multisession disc.

For what it's worth, I just burnt a file in nero to a cd-rw disc with the option to 'start multisession disc' selected and 'finalise disc' NOT selected.

The resulting disc could be read ok in ImgBurn.

The info panel on the right said the following:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22L 1.00 (ATA)

Current Profile: CD-RW

Disc Information:

Erasable: Yes

Sessions: 2

Sectors: 17,417

Size: 35,670,016 bytes

Time: 03:54:17 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 17416)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 17419)

ATIP Information:

Start Time of LeadIn (MID): 97m34s23f

Last Possible Start Time of LeadOut: 79m59s74f

What does it say on your machine when you put this problem disc in the drive?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.