Missing scenes and chapters on DVD R

danwood

I have a digital Canon camcorder (model: DC20) which read/writes to mini DVD-R and RW discs.

Whilst filming my girlfriends uni project, I seem to be missing two different recorded scenes or chapters. I know for a fact they were recorded as we watched them on the camera after, but since finalization they don't show up in the main scene selection menu. However, the available disc space seems accurate meaning, its as if the movies are on there but they just can't be accessed -- hidden in some way. This disc is a DVD-R so it's not like I could have deleted the movies. Seems like another type of corruption.

Any ideas or things I can try??? I've tried making an image with ImgBrn but it still just shows the same as the disc menu, about 10 mins of footage. Are there any recovery tools?

did you when recording switch modes eg quality settings for HQ, EP, SLP and such. ?

As one of my home dvd recorders does what yours seems to have done, e.g hiding other recordings.

I,m trying to remember how i got the other recordings to show up afterwards, umm, OK read the ISO into your computer then extract the ISO with winrar, then google a program called fix vts and run the whole folder thru it, after you have done that then look for a program called dvdshrink and try and open it in there see if they show up if so - reauthor and save out as ISO.

did you when recording switch modes eg quality settings for HQ, EP, SLP and such. ?

As one of my home dvd recorders does what yours seems to have done, e.g hiding other recordings.

I,m trying to remember how i got the other recordings to show up afterwards, umm, OK read the ISO into your computer then extract the ISO with winrar, then google a program called fix vts and run the whole folder thru it, after you have done that then look for a program called dvdshrink and try and open it in there see if they show up if so - reauthor and save out as ISO.

No I didnt' change any settings which is perplexing! I'll give that option a go though.

Any one else got any thoughts while I try that?

just to clarify I meant, eg you started to record your girl at uni on say HQ, then maybe a couple of days later you decided to record something else but changed to long play, then say another day recorded something else in extended play.

No it was all filmed in one go, and then we watched it back on the camera, it seems to have been lost when I finalized the disc.

I've just tried your suggestion but no luck! There are two VOBs on the DVD itself one is 300 mb which is right and the second should be the same size but its only 100megs. However the disc is coloured as if the whole disc is full and the disc length on the camera shows a full 28 mins, so it must be there somewhere I hope? It was there before i finalized it, I've tried unfinalize and refinalize but no avail.

She wont be impressed with doing it all again lol! :unsure:

Edited by danwood

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.