Illegal Mode for This Track error

ecoe

I saved a trial download of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 to my hard drive; it has an ".img" extension. My goal is to burn it to DVD, so that I may open the files in the download from the burned DVD and execute "SETUP.EXE".

When I used ImgBurn to burn it to a Fujifilm DVD-R disc, there was an error during verification. Thinking there was a scratch or something on the DVD causing the problem, I tried it again with another disk....same error. Then I searched through the forum trying to find an answer. One topic I read suggested speed of writing could cause a problem, so I tried again, selecting "4X" rather than "AUTO." The same error occurred again. All three times, though, when I clicked the CONTINUE button available in the I/O ERROR dialog, it finished with "Operation Successfully completed." I don't know what to think, especially since the log indicates the error is in the setup.exe file....if I use the DVD to install the download, will it complete successfully? Or perhaps someone can tell me how I can eliminate this error?

Details:

PRE-BURN INFO ABOUT THE DVD TO BE USED:

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N A105 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,297,888

Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes

Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: ProdiscF01

Recording Management Area Information:

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N

FROM THE I/O ERROR DIALOG DURING VERIFICATION:

I/O Error!

Device:

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpretation Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 01 00

Interpretation: Read(10) - Sector: 1048576

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: Illegal Mode For This Track

CANCEL TRY AGAIN CONTINUE

FROM THE LOG:

Sector 1048576 maps to file: vs\wcu\SDK\x64\setup.exe

ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED AND THANK YOU!!!

That error is basically caused by a bad burn - because the media's not really all that good and the drive doesn't like it.

There are possibly a couple of firmware updates you could try - assuming this drive is in a Dell machine of course!

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...p;fileid=173948

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...p;fileid=191888

The one from the 2nd link is newer.

You should still try and find some better discs though - Verbatims with the MCC dye, or some Taiyo Yuden ones.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.