Burning 2 or 3 image files of mini DVDs into 1 DVD-5

peju

Hi all! . . . Here comes a JJC to DVD burning and copying. Just discovered recently the difference between ripping, burning and copying. Anyway, a friend suggested Imgburn to me for burning my mini DVDs (used with my Sony DCR DVD403 camcorder) into a larger DVD. I started with 2 mini DVDs and used CloneCD (yes, the new version of CloneCD also handles DVDs) to write the the DVDs. Whun I tried to burn the 2 image files into 1 dvd, Imgburn won't let me. It would burn 1 image file to 1 DVD, and asked me to insert a blank DVD to burn the 2nd image file. I don't know whether it was the novice me or the program is not designed for that function. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Still looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. First, I'm not that savvy with all the terminology. I started by using the 'Read' mode to save the 2 mini DVDs to HD as ISO files. Not knowing the re-author function in ImgBurn (I thought it might be the 'Build' mode), I used the 'Build' mode to combine the 2 files into 1 folder which was then written into 1 DVD-5 disc. The new disc has two files in it with their respective names but only 1 name for the disc itself. The good thing is that this is the 1st time I was able to get 2 disks into 1 DVD-5 BUT the big problem is that it does not play in any of my dvd players. The 2 standalone Sony's, and in my pc. I have PowerdDVD DX, Windows Media Center and Media player plus QuickTime. The DVD shows as ISO files in my DVD Rom, and anytime I double click the DVD, it will show the 2 files in it. And when I double click either one of them - it launches ImgBurn in the 'Write' mode. I tried DVDShrink with worse results. I was able to get lost farther than with ImgBurn. I want to stick with ImgBurn so any detailed information to get me out of this ignorance will be welcome. Thanks.

In a nutshell, you can't just take a bunch of DVD video files and burn them to disk and expect everything to work. It just ain't gonna happen. Perhaps a basic explanation is in order. Each DVD has has something called an IFO (information) file. This little file contains all sorts of info about your DVD such as where the video and audio content is and, specifically, how to access it. If you dump a bunch of VOB (video object) files and an IFO onto a DVD from various sources, you will only be able to play the content that your IFO file can find (that it's programmed to point to).

The only way you'll be able to access the content from various home movies or whatever is to re-author the DVDs, which is re-writing the IFO file to tell it where those various sound and video files are. It's *ALOT* of fucking around for a small gain. One option would be to convert your DVDs to DivX/MPEG format and then load all of them into a professional authoring package like "TPMGEnc DVD Author" or something. As I said, it's alot of fucking around.

I think I will stick with 1:1 copying/burning. The procedures for doing re-authoring and all that jazz are just too complicated for me. I wasn't trying to do anything fanciful. But a layman like me would think that it won't be too hard for the brains out there to come up with a program to put 2 DVDs on 1 disc as distinct or separate titles. After one movie or title ends, the other begins - not to join them together but simply to have them on the same disc for simplicity and storage. Instead of the destination disc ejecting after copying the 1st mini DVD (or any other disc for that matter), the program could prompt you to insert another source disc to be added (copied/burnt) subject to available space on the destination disc. Maybe, I have been asking the wrong questions. Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.