Beginner question on burning an image to dvd (yes, I read the FAQ)

Dexter

I'm a first-time user of imgBurn. I read the instructions but I'm encountering a problem. So, forgive me if the answer is obvious... I am trying to backup a dvd that I bought for my kids, to prevent them from damaging the original.

While in 'Read' mode, I copied a dvd to my hard drive. Then while in 'Write' mode, I attempted to copy that image to a new dvd. However, imgBurn displayed the following message:

There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image.

Image size: 3,735,806 Sectors (7,296 MB)

Disc size: 2,295,104 Sectors (4,482 MB)

What I don't understand is how can the contents from the source dvd be MORE than the capacity of the destination dvd (which is blank)? The media that I bought is TDK DVD+R

So, did I do something wrong or is this simply a case of media that's the wrong size? If so, what do I look for when I purchase media?

Thanks,

Dexter

Your original DVD is a dual layer, so you'll have to burn it to a dual layer media. We recommend using Verbatim DVD+R DL media, as it's the only one that really works. Please read this article on Wikipedia if you have any doubts about DVD types/sizes.

Another option is to use a program like DVD Shrink, Nero Recode, DVDFab, etc. and recompress the disc to fit a single layer DVD+R.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.