Burn Error: ...Incompatible Format

lambygirl

Good Morning,

I hope someone can help me. New to this so sorry if unfamiliar with specifics of this program...have used DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink successfully in the past...trying ImgBurn. When I try to burn ISO image from hard drive to brand new DVD-R (imation branc) disc, I get an error that ends with: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format. Yesterday I got a different error that lead me to upgrade the firmware on my DVD drive...now this. Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Here's the log...

I 06:54:24 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 06:54:24 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,048 KB - Available: 471,456 KB

I 06:54:24 Initialising SPTI...

I 06:54:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 06:54:24 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

I 06:57:48 Operation Started!

I 06:57:48 Source File: D:\THE SECRET\The Secret.iso

I 06:57:48 Source File Sectors: 2,108,240 (MODE1/2048)

I 06:57:48 Source File Size: 4,317,675,520 bytes

I 06:57:48 Source File Volume Identifier: THE_SECRET_NTSC

I 06:57:48 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.3.2.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 06:57:48 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 06:57:48 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 06:57:48 Destination Device: [1:1:0] IOMEGA DVDRW4216IND-A 1.21 (F:) (ATA)

I 06:57:49 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3)

I 06:57:49 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496

I 06:57:49 Write Mode: DVD

I 06:57:49 Write Type: DAO

I 06:57:49 Write Speed: MAX

I 06:57:49 Link Size: Auto

I 06:57:49 Test Mode: No

I 06:57:49 BURN-Proof: Enabled

E 07:40:40 Failed to Reserve Track! - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

E 07:40:44 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:42:55

I 07:40:44 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

Edited by lambygirl

Thanks, Lightning UK! and Shamus for your responses. I appreciate your input.

Lightning UK, the link you provided to upgrade firmware to v. 1.22 does not work...in fact, redirect site domain is for sale. I downloaded/installed the v. 1.21 and that does not fix the problem. As to your suggestion that my DVD drive is too old to handle current media, that is not a logical or practical solution, since it has always worked just fine till today with imgBurn...I seriously doubt that 4/22/07 is the chosen date that it would suddenly be rendered obsolete. I will now try buying some Verbatim discs, as suggested by Shamus and if that doesn't work I'm done wasting time my time and will use another burner. Thanks anyway.

Well if it was working fine until today, you must have changed something. (Ok, you say you changed your firmware so we'll go with that)

If your old firmware supported the 'CMC MAG. AM3' discs and 1.21 doesn't, that's really bad of IOMEGA (or NEC).

Your current version (1.21) doesn't list any supported write speeds. That normally happens when the drive doesn't support the media - that is to say, the media ID is not in the drives firmware and so it has no idea how to burn it.

That media is 16x stuff and of course your drive is only 4x.

It's like putting some 100 RON super unleaded fuel in an old Ford Fiesta from 1980 that only runs on leaded.

So actually, what I said before is both logical and practical. You just need to think outside the box.

Well if it was working fine until today, you must have changed something. (Ok, you say you changed your firmware so we'll go with that)

If your old firmware supported the 'CMC MAG. AM3' discs and 1.21 doesn't, that's really bad of IOMEGA (or NEC).

Your current version (1.21) doesn't list any supported write speeds. That normally happens when the drive doesn't support the media - that is to say, the media ID is not in the drives firmware and so it has no idea how to burn it.

It's like putting some 100 RON super unleaded fuel in an old Ford Fiesta from 1980 that only runs on leaded.

So actually, what I said before is both logical and practical. You just need to think outside the box.

--------------------------------------------

Hi Lightning...

Thanks for more input. Well, it is old, but worked fine before this...and no, I didn't change anything until the firmware upgrade today from v. 1.20 to v. 1.21, AFTER the errors/burn failures. Still going to try to get some Verbatim discs...then, since it is so old, I guess I should start shopping for a new DVD drive. Any suggestions on good, affordable brands/models? Thanks for your help.

Hi Lightning UK!

I just broke down and bought/installed a brand new LiteOn 16x Internal DVD+-/+-RW ReWriter drive...burning it's first DVD right now...seems super fast and it will even burn dual layer so will have to try that out eventually. I'm happy now. Thanks very much for your good advice! Bye bye. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.