ide help

cathater

Thought I had a hd overheating problem.

Computter couldn't find hd after hours of video rendering. Wouldn't reboot either.

Cooled off over night and continued working. Then it lost it again.

Bought a new hd(ide), shoved in xp disk, started formattin, started installing, beep beep bbeeeep,started formating again, couldn't find new hd. Won't even boot to bios setup, with or without hds installed. Dvd drive on other ide line still reading, but I don't have a bootable xp disk I can look around the computer with. Hd's are unreadable on my older p3 machine.

My guess- ide driver toasted and burning out drives. (maybe they can be reformatted elsewhere?)

But I've noticed you guys are way better at delving into such matters.

As much as this is an oppurtunity (excuse) to buy a coreduo unit, somebody who shall remain nameless is a half month late on his mortgage again.

A cheap cure would be nice, but I think I'm looking at buying a new atx motherboard, that will accept my p4 2.8 gig processor/

Any suggestions?please

Download Memtest Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO and burn to a CD/DVD?R (CD-RW/DVD?RW also work) and boot the computer with this disc inside your DVD drive (no need to connect the HDs). Let it run at least one full pass and see if any errors come up.

Also, when you get a chance to enter BIOS setup, make sure all IDE ports are set to Auto (for auto-detecting HDs settings) and if there's a S.M.A.R.T. option, enable it. Have you tried hooking your HDs to your second IDE port to see if they're recognized there?

Maybe we can help more if you give us more information :)

memtest downloaded, will carry it home and give a try

having trouble doing bios setup, f1, f2,,,,,,,delete, not launching setup. No usual boot screens displaying.

Can try putting hds on other ide line, but there not recognizable on other machine. Mabe I should bring boot hd from other machine over, bu I am a ittle chicen about that.

swapped keyboard, swapped known good battery, even swapped boot drive from other computer onto other ide line(dvd plaer was working) NOW it doesn't work either, and when back into original machine its not recognizable, changed bios to boot from cd, that doesn't work

Maybe my kids will get me a new one for fathers day or does that only work from parent to child?

ok pull power cable out of psu, take cmos battery out and look for cmos clear jumper pins on your mobo and swap the jumper over to short out pins 2-3 for a few seconds (no more than 15) secs, then move jumper back over replace battery and see what happens.

sounds interesting, won't be home till friday though.

At geeks,com found an intel d865pe motherboard $69. As near as I understand the specs, should take my p4 2.4 gig processor, my 1 gig ddr333 pc2700 sdram, and my agp nvidia geforce4mx440 card. Think the sucker had sata also. Will be abil to stock up drives for next unit.

Definatly the cheapest repair. But don't know if I'm gonna trust the old drive on the new board yet.

If I remember correctly always had to use a win98 3.5 to get cd funtioning on old machine. You know--the stuff Ithrew out last month!!!

dontasciime

OK pulled battery, jumper? what jumper? don't see a jumper anywhere on motherboard( its an asus ?)

pulled power cord, used pocket knife to short battery socket terminals, replaced batery, put sony XP home disk in cd tray, booted, a different bios setup screen appeared, (no hdd settings here)resored defaults, saved settings, reboot xp disk installng sony disk 1, disk 2 , disk3, done, rebooting, primary drives ZERO, secondary drives cdrom udma , beep beep beep, boot disk failure

FORGOT to pull and swap memory cards!

apperently theres enough drive there to attempt install, but not enough to boot??????????

still no luck during boot to hit delete or anything else to enter bios setup.

older p3 machine, delete gets to bios setup, but machine will not auto detect hdd, could try manual (user?) but the 20 gig hdd isn't labeled with heads, sectors,,,,

ok

tried another install, harddisk clickng away during first 10%(format?) then just whirring for next 50% of1st disk which is when I aborted the process

rebooted, f2 during reboot gets you to bios setup today,look theres a 160 gig hardisk on my ide line, all the other setting area as good as I remember them, esc and save settings. Continue boot - "boot drive filure"

Reboot, f2, no hardrives again

thats as much info as I can provide guys, shall I just put it on the curb for the trash guys???????

throw a computer at a cat. ?

how cruel and unusual treatment.

Try putting feline inside the case, plug it in, throw it in pool!!!!!!!

drive under warrenty, only if you still have the receipt of malied in the card. something I never do

another thread mention dell still selling machines with xp

p.s.

put a gray and a calico in the tall tower case, closed the lid, still making growling noise, will report who won when it starts purring

You could just try kicking it ! :lol: I am sure in the old days Shamus used to save items like this for launching at his neighbours nuisance of a cat (if it wasn't Shamus my apologies) =))

That was the Pioneer 120 I used to have. And yep, it was cannon fodder for the fooking fleabag that lived next door. I haven't seen the drive or the cat in about 2 years, I suppose.

Sounds like a good days work then mate ! Was it you who used to play machine gun fire loud to annoy your Korean neighbours too ? :lol:

Nah. That was a fella I used to work with. He was a Vietnam Veteran and his new neighbours at the time were Vietnamese. Whenever they started yelling he'd stick a speaker out the window and play a cassette of a Huey Helicopter flying overhead.

Whoa

maybe kirk can use a tape, what would scare an old lady, guys

wheres a good US site to buy a mobo and all the accesseries,

I'll probably need help in the future with this

any brands to avoid?

Sounds like a good days work then mate ! Was it you who used to play machine gun fire loud to annoy your Korean neighbours too ? :lol:

Nah. That was a fella I used to work with. He was a Vietnam Veteran and his new neighbours at the time were Vietnamese. Whenever they started yelling he'd stick a speaker out the window and play a cassette of a Huey Helicopter flying overhead.

:doh: Ah that was it - sorry fella didn't mean to besmerch your good name !! =))

FLASH news

tried installing old zipdrive on primary ide

now it sees a 160 gig drive and the zipdrive

still won't boot off the hdd, and the restore disc in the zip won't restore bcause that isn't the same unit restore disk was made on.

Still looking into new machine,

Can I make a bootable xp cd here???

Maybe if I get some pot from the kid nextdoor, shove it in the power supply things will start working

• 2 weeks later...

weather was lousy this weekend so I slapped the computer around some more

with zip hooked was able to load xp onto a harddrive, TAA DAH DUH

removed zip drive, installed original boot drive as slave, xp launched chkdsk, fixed errors, recovered a couple files to dvd's, then it started slowing down, down, d o w n, and even though I could here the hdd and dvd burner doing some occasional movement it quite. Guess I shall not bother with the bastird anymore. I"m going to stick with my theory of mobo problems, and chance putting the hdd's in a new macine if and when I ever have spare money again.

Thanks for everybodys help

you can send cash contributions to the cathater foundation for new computer :rtf:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.